Chapter 2 Chemistry 101

As he walked into the restaurant she saw the same devastatingly handsome man that made her life beautiful so many years ago.  The only difference now was that his jeans fit better, his shirt revealed broad shoulders that he didn't have before, and he smelled of expensive cologne and not deep fried food from the days when they had half-worked and half-played at this very spot.  For years she chose not to remember.  Now, her past life was ever present.

Blake returned a few minutes later carrying a bucket of chicken, waffle fries and two Cokes.  Her grandmother's secret seasonings had made the chicken and waffle fries legendary in Savannah and throughout the region.  People travelled from all over to eat there.  He grabbed a piece of chicken and she heard the crunch as he bit into it.  "I think you better eat now."

"Is there something you're not telling me?"

"There's a lot I'm not telling you."

Rena shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "What?"

Blake reached his hand in the bucket and pulled out a piece of chicken. "Eat."

After a few moments of hesitation, Rena took it from his hand and began to eat.  It was so good that it caused her to release a slight moan.  She sat contemplating how much she chose to forget.  Next, she grabbed some fries, and the taste of them was like being resurrected from the dead.  "This is so good.  I truly forgot.   My goodness." A smile crept over her face.

"That's the first sign of happiness I've seen on your face since you got here."  He squeezed her hand and sparks flew between them.  "Listen, I don't want to overwhelm you, but a lot has changed since you've been gone.  The reason that I want you to eat now is because when you see what Ian has done to your mother's house you are going to be angry.  You'll probably not be in a mood for eating."

Rena looked worried.  She felt her body tensing.  She knew coming home wasn't going to be a cakewalk, but she wasn't expecting a briefing.

"Your mother has lost a lot of weight and you might have to adjust to that a bit."

Now she was tearing up.  A tiny tear trickled down her cheek.  Blake reached for a napkin, leaned over and dabbed it away.  His touch lit a spark.  For just a second, his closeness brought back memories that she'd tucked away.  He held her gaze and then turned from her and said, "I think we should be going."

As they drove off, she looked behind at the restaurant. It hadn't changed.  It was still a brick store front with the huge glass window that had the logo painted on the glass in bright colors.  The place was as nostalgic as the historical district where it was located.  The red and white awning that stretched the length of the building gave shade to those that were always willing to stand in line just to get a taste of Grandma's chicken.  As they turned the corner she could see the back of the building. The old dumpsters were there. 

What she saw was not just the old dumpsters, but also the water hose beside it.  As she looked, she could see herself and Blake hosing each other down and covered in suds as they washed out the trash cans and dumpster each night.  She heard their laughter and then the car stopped at a red light, bringing her back from the past.  When she focused and turned, Blake was looking at her.

"What?"

He didn't respond.  He was too busy gazing at her.  She was resplendent.  He hadn't considered that she could impact him in this way again.  Blake was in his own world of private memories.  Oh my God.  Why can I barely breathe?  This has got to be some kind of a dream.  It's been ten years.  How can she still make my heart race?"