Chapter I

Klaus walked in as Caroline sat, crying. He walked the way he always did, looking like he did not care about anything. His arms hung down his sides and his smile didn’t reach his cheeks. Klaus turned on the music centre. The music was streaming softly out of the speakers, surrounding them. Normally Klaus would be hostile and aggressive but in some way he was not like that with Caroline.

“What is wrong, love?” He politely - as always - asked Caroline. “Tyler broke up with me” she said. Klaus’ smile was long gone. He sat next to Caroline who rested her head on her hands. “Why is it that everything bad happens to me? Why, Klaus? First of all I am being turned into a vampire, I lose every single boyfriend I get. Why can’t I be Elena? Everybody saves her before something happens to her, but I have to experience being kidnapped before I can be saved,” Caroline muttered. Klaus didn’t say a word. The silence was only broken by Caroline’s cry.

Klaus moved closer to Caroline and lifted his arm towards her shoulder. Slowly he pulled her into his arms. Normally Caroline would have stopped him by now, but she didn’t. “Easy, love. You’re too beautiful to cover your face with tears,” Klaus whispered. Caroline calmed down, and a tiny smile showed up on her lips. She lifted her head from Klaus’ chest and looked at him with wide open, big, blue eyes. “How come you are so nice to me?” She smiled. “I have lived for many years and only God knows for how long I have been looking for someone like you. A woman who is able to answer me back when I am being too selfish or rude for that matter,” Klaus answered with a smile upon his face. The silence returned as they looked in each other’s eyes. “You are a lovely woman, Caroline – I fancy you. I really wished you would have known me when I was human.” A tiny V showed up between Caroline’s perfectly shaped eyebrows. A simple and silent “why” appeared between Caroline’s lips. “I was kidding. Nobody has ever really liked me, not even my mother,” Klaus sighed. “I like you right now,” Caroline said followed by a laugh. “You have the loveliest laugh, it reminds me of something nice. Love, I guess,” Klaus complimented her as he gently let his hand slide down her cheek. She smiled.

For a long time Klaus had been what Caroline hated the most until a few days ago where he emotionally opened up. She almost forgot that she had ever hated him and now he is sitting right next to her, comforting her. While Caroline had hated Klaus, Klaus had been oddly attached to Caroline. “Now it is my turn to ask you something, love – how come you always hold back when I talk to you, especially in public?” Klaus asked. Caroline’s head rested on Klaus’ chest again. “Everyone sees you as the bad guy. I guess I care too much about what others think of me,” Caroline replied. The answer overwhelmed Klaus. His eyes were wide open. Klaus moved Caroline’s head from his chest. He stood up and reached for Caroline’s hand. She wondered what he was doing but gently took his hand and rose up from the couch. Klaus’ other hand lied on her waist. He began to dance. Caroline followed his moves. The room seemed empty while they were caught together in a dance. “You look absolutely gorgeous,” Klaus whispered into Caroline’s ear. Klaus’ fingers went through Caroline’s stunningly beautiful, blond hair. The fireplace warmed up the room and made them feel comfortable in each other’s company. “Your presence is lovely, Caroline,” Klaus continued. “It is sad that you have rejected me numorous times.” Caroline just stood in his arms, following his moves as the music got louder and made her forget everything but Klaus and her dancing.

He stopped abruptly and grabbed her head. He looked her in the eyes. His lips parted. Caroline raised her hand towards his cheek. She let her hand glide down from his cheek to his chest and rested her hand on it. He was stronger than she had expected. A touch of love hit her.

Klaus had always been good at seducing people, but with Caroline it had been a struggle. She had rejected him several times, telling him to leave her alone. She had put him into place by telling him that no matter what, she would never be seduced by him and fall for his stupid tricks and drawings. And yet she couldn’t help it – she actually liked being alone with him and in fact she liked the drawings he had drawn too. Deeply inside of her she wished that he would never disappear again. “I’m sorry, I’m really a mess right now,” Caroline said and sat down on the couch again. She started crying. The sight of her tears cut Klaus’ heart in two. He walked towards her. As he stood in front of her he took her hand in his. He bent down and kissed her hand softly. “Don’t cry, love,” he said and looked down. His gaze was pointed at her face with those blue eyes shining like newborn stars. “Why are you showing me such a genuine compassion?” Caroline asked. “You bring out my humanity, Caroline. The thing in the life of a vampire you have to look for longer than anything else,” Klaus replied without hesitating. His fingertips touched her curly hair. He took a lock of hair between his fingers and gently pulled it down. “Why is everything about you so beautiful?” Klaus asked with a cracking voice. He had never been good at showing his love for anyone. Klaus stood up and grabbed a glass from the table beside the couch and poured whiskey in it. “Want some?” He said whilst his smile reoccurred. She did not say a word, but looked at him with empty eyes. Instead of saying yes, she rose from the couch and took the bottle herself and drank directly from it. His smile disappeared as she fell into his arm. “I think we should get you to bed,” Klaus said followed by a giggle. He followed Caroline up the stairs and put her gently to bed. “I will leave the rest to you, have a good night,” he said and tenderly kissed her forehead. Caroline did not fully understand why she had let Klaus hold her but she liked it – she liked him.