Behind Blue Eyes

TUMBLR.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Louis watched Zayn, smirking as he shoved a frightened looking freshman up against the lockers. His name was Leo, or Liam maybe, he wasn’t sure, but it was the same kid they had caught snogging a little blonde boy in the hall earlier. 

It was after school hours now, and nearly everyone had left the building. Louis and Zayn were sneaking their usual smoke break in the bathroom when the boy walked in for a piss.

At the sight of him, the image of his shameless PDA flashed fresh in Louis’s mind, sparking flames of anger inside his body, and he decided he needed to be taught a lesson. That maybe if they roughed him up a little, he wouldn’t be so quick to stick his tongue down his boyfriend’s throat. 

Especially so Louis could see it. 

So they stuck his head in the toilet, gave him a black eye, and Louis wasn’t sure how he managed it but he escaped the two of them and ran down the hallway. Stupid move on his part, they caught up not long after and — well now they were just having a proper good time. 

“Do you think kissing boys is funny?” Zayn leered in the boys ear, slamming him against the cool metal. “You think we wanna see that shit?” He bought up his knee and shoved it into the boy’s stomach, making him cry out in pain before he crumpled to the floor. 

“Niall!” the boy choked out, calling out for someone, anyone to help him. 

“You disgust me,” Zayn snarled, and spit in the boy’s face. 

Louis laughed at the scene softly, pleased with Zayn’s work, proud of himself for shaping him into such a perfect, mindless soldier. Zayn did whatever Louis wanted him to.

Like this, for example. Beating up on kids younger than them gave them both a sick thrill, ten fold if they were gay. 

Because being gay was wrong, if Louis had been taught anything in life it was that. So even though the small freshman lay at Zayn’s feet, having lost any ability to fight back, it wasn’t enough. 

It was Louis’s turn now. 

He started walking towards the crumpled figure on the ground, when an all too familiar cold voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Leave him alone.”

From the shadows of an empty classroom, Louis watched as a tall boy walked threateningly towards them, his hands balled into fists at his sides. 

Fear and shame temporarily gripped his insides like a fist of ice, filling him up and spilling over. He wondered how it wasn’t obvious to everyone else, he was sure it was running out of every orifice, plain and clear for everyone to see. Only one person could ever make him feel like this, this all consuming nameless emotion, everything bad in the world balled into one feeling.

Harry was the last person he wanted to see. Now, or ever. 

“Piss off, Styles,” Louis growled, body now alive like an electric current.

Harry narrowed his eyes, coming closer to lean over the boy on the ground. 

“You okay, Liam?” he asked softly. “Can you walk?”

Any trace of anger had disappeared, and he only spoke in gentle tones, something that stirred something confusing and unwelcome inside of Louis.

Liam nodded weakly, and Harry wiped away the spit from his face and cleared the blood from his forehead before taking his hand to help him stand.