Redemption from Memories

Spencer rushed through the front door and picked up the phone that she heard ringing from outside. It was her friend, Calvin, calling again about going out and seeing a movie with a few girls.

    “Actually, Mother and I are about to go shopping. You are welcome to come if you’d like?” Spencer said.

    “Would you stop being so proper for just two seconds? You’re supposed to be my wingman, well, wingwoman. I need you here Spence. How am I supposed to get a girl without you there to make me look good? Come on! You know that I’d do the same for you!”

    “I’m sorry but I just can’t today, Cal. Maybe tomorrow?”

    “You owe me, Spence.”

    “I know, I know. You sure you don’t want to come with Mother and me?”   

    “No thanks, I have much better things to do. So, I will see you Monday. Later, Spence.”

    “Bye, Calvin.”

    “Spencer, are you ready to go?” Spencer’s mother called from the walk-in closet.

    “Just waiting on you, Mother.”

    Her mother finally emerged from the endless closet and they made their way to the car and started toward the store that was forty minutes away.

    Caroline shut the door to her apartment and locked it. The apartment was small but big enough for one person. After her parents died she took up three times as many hours at work than she was working before.

    They left more than enough money for her but she worried about it running out. Besides, other than that money, how would she pay for college and get out of the town she so hated?

    She climbed in her car and started her engine. Grocery shopping, again. Though, shopping for one person didn’t take nearly as much time as it did with her parents. It would only take about ten to fifteen minutes at most.

    Ah, parents. The word or even thought brought a stinging sensation to her eyes. Her heart sped up and her eyes stung with fresh tears that she refused to let fall again. She was done crying. It didn’t matter how much she mourned or how much she cried, nothing would bring them back. She was on her own now and that was just how it had to be.

    When she arrived at the store she found a parking spot quickly. The place was rather slow today, just what she had hoped for. She turned her car off and grabbed her purse as a picture fell out. She reached for the picture and picked it up. It was the one she kept on her at all times. The only picture that she had of them. Her last memory and her last bit from her life before that she could reminisce from. Tears, again, for the second time today, stung her eyes and threatened to stain her cheeks with the salty trail that they once before had stained for weeks and even over a month.

    She bit her lip and sighed deeply as she closed her eyes and gathered her composure. When she was sure she could go in public again, she opened her eyes and stepped out of her car. This trip would be over soon. All she wanted to do was go home, unpack, and go to bed before the next day’s long double shift at work.

    She and her mother arrived at the store and walked inside. Or rather Spencer practically pranced and skipped. Her mood was so jubilant, so light and bright, which was normal. Her mother smiled and listened as her daughter went through the day, not missing a single moment, a single in-depth detail.

    They were closer than most Mother and Daughter relationships were. After Spencer’s younger sister died, her father began working much more than usual and her mother clung to her tightly. Her mother could not imagine losing Spencer as well. In fear of losing both daughters, she clung to Spencer. She needed Spencer to reassure herself that she could keep her. That she could stay sane and remain herself.