October 17, 1997

Dear Dean,

Do you remember when we first met? I do. You were 10 and I was 11. Your family moved in next door, and I brought over a pie my mom made. You loved pie.

I knew from the second you opened that front door that we were going to be best friends. I looked into your green candy apple eyes, and it felt like home.

I remember the way your eyes lit up when I said I lived next door. You said you didn't have any friends since you were new to town. I just smiled and handed you the pie. I was awkward. I stifled my feet while standing on your front steps. You weren't awkward. You never were.

You laughed and put down the pie in the kitchen. You ran back to your front door and grabbed my hand. "Come on!" you laughed. You dragged me inside your house. You took me upstairs to your room, and we played video games until the moon raised into the night sky.

You looked sad when I left that night, but I reminded you that I lived right next door. I remember later you told me I was the only friend you had ever had, and that made me feel special.

It's funny how things start off so simple... It's funny how things end so tragic.

It's been a month now... I miss you. I hope you're happy wherever you are. I love you.

Sincerely,
Castiel