Chapter 5

“Tell me things Neddy,” Maggie demanded, as they walked slowly through the park.

Winter was coming to an end, and for the first time in weeks there was a beautiful day at hand. The sun bounced off the large lake in the middle of the enormous park. So the two decided that they must get out and soak up some nature.  A gentle breeze swept through the trees causing the branches to sway elegantly.  

“Like what?” Ned asked, confused.

“Anything,” Maggie smiled.

“I like how you always do your pretend sad face,” he answered to her request. That was the best you could come up with? Loser.

“Aw,” Maggie tightened her grip as they marveled at the beauty of the water, you could almost see the bottom. There were turtles, small fish, and ducks all sharing the same home together in harmony. 

The day seemed to be going extremely fast, and it was too fast for Ned’s liking. “It’s weird how quick time can go on a day like today, but when I work it feels like forever,” 

“I guess so, my time is all over the place,” she said, drawing him closer toward the water.

They hugged and Maggie pulled him to the ground, where they lie on their backs staring at the clouds trying to point out shapes to each other. “That looks like a dragon,” Ned said.

“I concur,” Maggie agreed, sharply before locking lips.

They rolled over onto their stomachs after breaking away from the kiss to gaze at the ants marching along.

“Do you think they have social lives? Or just work all the time?” Maggie asked, intrigued by the strict production line that was happening right in front of their eyes.

“I don’t know, do you mean like little ant night clubs and stuff?” Ned teased.

Maggie laughed, “No. I don’t know. Like do they have fun and stuff? I would hate to be working hard all day for little reward all the time,” Maggie said, as she squashed one of the little ants with her index finger.

That’s like me! I’m the damn ant! Work, work, and work with little reward, Ned thought to himself as he watched her play god with the ants.

 "I heard  a story that all summer ants think winter," 

"What do you mean?" Ned looked at Maggie funny. 

"Well they harvest all summer just to prepare for the winter, and then all winter they are thinking of the summer."

“Well, I’m thinking about getting a new job soon,” Ned said. 

Maggie’s interest in the small creatures ceased to exist, “Why? What is wrong with your job now?” 

“I need something better. Besides it’s a status killer, and I feel like I should be doing better,” he explained. 

“Stop worrying, you are fine just the way you are. Period,” Maggie said, trying to sound reassuring.

“Yeah, but I just want to get better.”

“See, you always want to be better, and you don’t need to be. Maybe you wish I was better,” Maggie sighed.

“Of course not, how can you think that?” Ned asked, wrapping his arms around her body.

He slid a free hand into his pocket and retrieved the small IPod and headphones that was crammed in there. Ah! Hate untangling these, he thought angrily as he frustratingly untangled the headphones with one hand.

He handed one earpiece to Maggie, and she smiled as he searched through the playlist. “So who we listening to?” he asked, unable to decide.

“Lyrically Challenged?”

She always has the answers.

“Sure,” he agreed, he was already about to press play on it anyway. 

As the music played the two looked deep into each other’s eyes. For an instant he thought he saw a hint of boredom.  

Maybe she is getting bored with me? And maybe she is embarrassed of me, why else doesn’t she want to add each other on Facebook?

Worrying too much fool.

He brushed the thoughts aside, and decided to make the most of the day. Ned ran his fingers through the soft grass, as the sun shone down upon them. They both closed their eyes enjoying the music.

“Ned?”

“Yes?” Ned opened one eye.

“Tell me more things…please?” Maggie asked, opening her eyes to meet his gaze again.

“I…”

I’ve already said too much about me, I feel naked now. A girl can’t love someone who is weak, and insecure… always complaining, and telling her how you feel. Say no.

"Come on. You can't bore me...It's been months now, and you never fail me."

Ned just shook his head, and smiled.  

“Next time,” he said, winking.