Chapter 3

Chapter 3

       "Can someone please answer the phone?" Laughlin asked from the kitchen. It had been ringing for the past three minutes, but nobody even bothered to answer it. Laughlin was busy making a snack for Elizabeth, Nick was watching TV , Elliot was taking a nap, and I couldn't care less.

       When nobody got up, Laughlin told Elizabeth she would have to wait for a bit as he answered the phone. "Hello?....W-what? Why are you calling now? I've tried....Oh, really? So after five years you just decided to up and call?....I'm kind of busy at the moment....Fine. Whatever. We'll be there in ten minutes. Bye." He hung up and sighed.

       "Who was that?" Nick asked.

       "Someone we haven't seen or heard from in five years," Laughlin replied. "Dad."

       I raised an eyebrow. "Dad? Dad decided to just randomly call us? What does he want?"

       "For the three of us to meet him at the diner," Laughlin said.

       "I don't want to go," I said. "He left us, just like Mom did."

       "Yeah, well I don't want to go either," Laughlin said. "But we might as well see him. I just need to go wake up Elliot, so the two of you, get ready to go."

       I sighed, getting up from the couch and putting my jacket and shoes on. By the time Nick and I were ready, Elliot walked out of her and Laughlin's bedroom, grumbling something about being woken up.

       Laughlin walked out behind her, shaking his head. "You know, I cannot wait for this baby to be born. I am done with cranky Elliot."

       "Shut up," Elliot snapped with a scowl.

       "Can you please finish making Lizzie's snack?" Laughlin asked. "I was in the middle of it."

       "Whatever," Elliot muttered, walking to the kitchen.

       Laughlin began putting on his shoes and jacket. "I love you, Elliot."

       "Uh huh."

       Laughlin sighed and gestured for us to leave. Normally, Elliot was very calm but ever since she was in the third trimester of her pregnancy, she was very cranky. A few weeks left. Four weeks, to be exact.

       As soon as we got to the diner, I saw my dad waiting near the door for us. He smiled when we walked in. "Look at the three of you," he said. "All grown up. Twenty-three, seventeen, and thirteen. The last time I saw you, you were eighteen, twelve, and eight."

       "Yeah, five years ago," I said, crossing my arms. "So why call as now?"

       I guess Nick was the only one who wasn't mad at Dad, because he gave him a hug. "I missed you."

       "I missed you too, Nick," Dad said. "Let's go get our seats."

       The diner host led us to a table and handed us our menus. A waitress came by shortly, so we ordered our food. After he left, Dad cleared his throat. "So. How is everything with you three?"

       "I'm in the school play," I said bitterly, still quite pissed at Laughlin.

       "I didn't know you liked acting," Dad said.

       "I don't," I said. "I hate it but apparently, my brother doesn't care."

       Laughlin sighed. "You think we're going to let you get off the hook for what you did? Detention does nothing."