Chapter Sixty-One | Hester House, New Years 2020

Chapter Sixty-One

Hester House, New Years 2020

Merriment oozed from within Hester House, and a light snow even fell though it was rather warm. Midnight was only two short hours away.

In the kitchen Amara was making more eggnog with Molly Weasley and Niha. The living room and library was bursting with every child, in-law and grandchild of Molly and Arthur, as well as Amara's sisters and parents. Andromeda Tonks sipped a cup of tea, gladly telling whoever would listen that her grandson was getting married in the late summer, to that lovely red head over there. Yes, the tall one in maroon. What a cutie, so lovely. She'd known him all his life.

Hester Bowen looked around the living room, searching for her older sister. It was nice to be around her again, as Hester had missed having Ella around all summer and then at school.

"Who're you looking for?" James Potter popped up beside her, holding a glass of butterbeer.

"Ella." Glancing at the glass, she frowned. "That looks funny. Did you put some fire whiskey in it?"

He grinned. "How'd you guess?"

"You're all flushed." Going on her tiptoes, she let out a frustrated breath. "Have you seen her?"

"Who?"

"Ella!"

"Oh, yeah." He took a long swig of the drink. "I saw her go upstairs. She okay?"

"Yes." Hester snapped. "She's fine, just fine, thank you."

"Merlin," James shook his head. "I was just asking."

Hester grabbed the glass from his hand. "Sorry, I just...sorry."

"Hey, give that back –" Trying to grab for the glass, James stepped closer, brushing his chest against her shoulder.

"No, go entertain Robin or something." Hester held the glass out of his reach.

His face fell. "I thought we could hang out."

"We can." Hester began walking away. "Later."

"Okay, see ya!" James watched her disappear in the crowd, running a hand through his red mop. The mop he had inherited from his father, and cursed him daily. "I guess."

Still holding the drink, Hester went quickly up the stairs and into the bedroom she had shared with Ella. Shutting the door, she hurried over to the bathroom and knocked softly. "Ella, you okay?"

There was a loud retching sound, followed by a flush in reply. The door swung open, revealing Ella sitting on the floor, wearing a velvety red dress and looking very pale.

"What's in that?" she asked, pointing to the glass.

"This? Oh, James put some fire whiskey in his butterbeer – Ella!"

"Gimme." Ella had grabbed the drink and downed half before Hester grabbed it out of her hands.

"Don't drink that!"

"Why not?" snapped Ella, reaching up again.

"Because," Hester cried. "I think you're pregnant!"

Both girls froze, Hester surprised she said it at all, and Ella shocked. "You what?"

Hester sat down on the bathroom floor, grabbing a glass of water off the counter. "You were just saying the other day in the shops that your breasts are sore and that you're late and I saw you without your shirt. You're areolas are super dark and –"