Chapter 2 - Peeta

(Peeta's POV)

Before I knew what was happening, my fist was in the air and heading towards the guy's face. I could hear him cussing and thrashing as his friends pulled him away. As reality started to set in, I lowered my fist dazedly.

I punched him. I actually punched.

I looked over at Katniss only to see pure terror in her eyes. Madge's expression was similar, but I saw more disappointment and confusion. Oh no. What was happening to me?

I'm such an idiot!

Madge and Katniss hurried me off to class. I didn't dare look up at their faces. I was afraid of what I'd see there.

I sat down at my desk in class, and four words kept pounding their way through my brain. I'm such an idiot! I'm such an idiot! Finally, it was too much. I quietly raised my hand and asked to go to the bathroom.

Once out in the hall, I leaned against the lockers. Why did I have to be so stupid? I slammed my fist into the locker next to me, denying it slightly. "You're an idiot, Peeta," I mutter.

I slam my head against the locker. "Idiot." Slam. "Worthless." Slam. "Stupid." Mom was right. I was a worthless person.

Slam.

Slam.

Slam.

Slam.

"Peeta stop!"

I recognized Katniss's voice immediately, but I ignored her. I continued to slam my head into the locker. I deserved the pain.

Small hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me back. Immediately, goosebumps covered my body. I felt her hands cup my face, but I refused to look at her.

"Peeta, look at me...please, Peeta."

I slowly let my gaze meet hers. She was so beautiful. I would've give anything for her to be mine. Her hands were still cupping my cheeks. I felt my face heat up.

"Why are you acting like this? You're not a idiot, Peeta! You're one of the most amazing people I've ever met. Please, tell me what's wrong with you."

I was speechless. I couldn't tell her. I just couldn't. I couldn't tell anyone. If I told anyone, she'd kill me. I couldn't m tell Katniss, no matter how much I want to. I just couldn't.

"Katniss, I can't tell you...if I tell you she wi-"

Uh oh.

I almost let it slip! How could I be so careless?

"She will do what? Who's gonna do what?" Katniss asked in confusion. I could almost see the worry radiating off of her.

Her fingers found their way to my sun glasses. I completely had forgotten I had them on. She gripped the glasses, about to take them off. I needed to stop her, but I was frozen under her touch. She slowly slid them off. A gasp escaped out of her mouth and I saw her eyes glisten over.

Before she could say anything, I ran. I heard her feet right behind.

"Peeta!" I heard her call, but then another voice stopped her. Thank goodness! I couldn't let her see any of my other bruises.

I ran as fast as I could, leaving the school behind. I ran past the parking lot. I was too young to drive; I normally caught a ride with Tyler. Now, though, I was so scared that I could run the whole way home if I wanted. And I did.

I burst through the front door, completely ignoring my dad. I ran into my room and locked the door, so I won't have to face the wrath of my mother. I heard my father knocking on the door, asking why I was home, but I ignored him. I just sat on my bed and tried not to cry. I couldn't be weak. I couldn't cry.

My phone was blowing up. I didn't even have to check to know it was all from Katniss.

~~~~

Another chapter!

Update on the posting schedule: We update once a week. Any time between Monday and Friday. Normally, expect it in the middle of the week, but sometimes it may be earlier.

Vote and comment!

~Ry and Ellie