Chapter 9

Wulfric

Nina... his mind whispered repeatedly as everything around him seemed to slow until time appeared to stop entirely. The sweet scent of blood invaded his nose as he looked to the death that surrounded him, was he going to give in so easily?

Nina! His mind shouted as he gripped the axe firmly, finding a sudden strength rush through his body, setting his veins ablaze and sending his senses wild. The warrior within him appeared to awaken, a part of him he had never believed to have existed as his heart suddenly slowed until its beats were barely registerable.

He lifted the axe, using the long wood to block the attack of the demon before he swung around and beheaded the man that had threatened his life. His muscles yearned for more, begged him to keep moving as he span around on the balls of his feet, holding a grace he had never seen in himself before as he sliced the throat of another.

Blood splashed against the steel of his armour before pouring to the ground, staining the snow further. He couldn't give up now, he had to keep fighting if he were to ever see her again. His eyes grew wild with an uncontrollable power and desire.

The desire for blood.

His gaze grew alert to every movement as everything continued to move at a speed that could only be compared to that of a snail. Suddenly, he remembered his training and everything Jian had taught him before he began to wonder,

Is this how Jian saw it all in the trial by combat? He wondered as he heard the sound of an approaching enemy from behind him.

He grabbed the dagger from the sheath of a man before spinning around and throwing it. When the blade found its target, it landed with perfect precision in the apple of the demons throat. Not a single thread of fear passed through his body as he grew more and more alert with each passing second until he was barely able to believe any of it.

Was it a dream? Was it even possible for something like this to occur? Or was this truly an inner power he had been completely unaware of? Had this been inside of him since the day of his birth?

"The day of your birth, it was said that you were born with the destiny to be upon the field of battle. You held a strength in you, Wulfric. A talent for combat," the words his Lady Mother had once spoken to him were carried to his ears by the soft winter wind of the north and for the first time since she had spoken them; they sounded as though they spoke of the truth.

He thought of Nina once again as the clouds above him grew darker whilst ash fell all around him, landing in his soft blond hair. The clash of thunder echoed around them, alerting them of the upcoming storm when he turned and witnessed something that caused him to pause for a brief moment.

Upon the floor, lay his brother as he cupped the wound in his leg that seemed to bleed endlessly; the scent of his blood seemed far richer than those around them and as it invaded Wulfric's nose, he gained control over himself once again. Without a second thought passing through his mind, he rushed over to his older brother just in time to block the deathly blow that was about to decapitate Eyvind.

Swiftly, he threw his axe forward, blocking the movement of the blade before throwing it up, causing the demon to lose his grip of his strangely crafted sword. In a rush of pure instinct, the animal born for battle swung his battle axe, decapitating the beast before seeing to his brother.

"Leave me, I will be fine," Eyvind insisted however Wulfric didn't listen.

"Not today, you won't. We must get you off the battlefield now!" The voice of the youngest son of Lord Erik Theaos boomed around them, mimicking the thunder that clashed above them.

"And how would you propose I do that, Brother? We are surrounded, you will die as well as I,"

"Brothers fall together and not apart," replied Wulfric, catching his brother of guard as he ripped a piece of clothing from his body and tied it around Eyvind's leg to apply pressure and slow the bleeding. "Now let us go, either we survive together or we fall together," he continued before picking his older brother up off the ground and carrying him towards the gates of Jotenhall; whilst silently hoping that he nor his brother would die in the process.