Rescue

((Authors Note:  For those of you who prefer less romance rather than more, I have decided to keep RESCUE with just Jarah and Joshua. IF you want to see Alperen's relationship, you can read the bonus romance REWARD.))

In the dark hours before the dawn Alperen sought his visions.

Jarah was free, but many things still hung in the balance.

He saw the traitorous and the loyal and the steps to root out the last of the coup.

He saw the coming journey with Jarah, Inali, Seda, Gwynna, Myrcella, Arvath and Keladore and the roles they would play.

What he did not see was his own role—as so often happened, his own future was a mystery. That he wanted to go was undeniable. Whether or not he should go was the question.

One thing was sure—once Starfall was secure, the rescue party would ride to the wild lands to find and free Joshua.

↫↫↫↫↫ ↬↬↬↬↬

Rescue

Jarah woke with the sunrise. Today was her birthday and she was officially 'of age' to take the throne. There was much to do to set Tor Astaria in order and it had to be done swiftly. Only then could she safely seek to free Joshua. Dressing in a warm gown, she went out on the balcony and down the spiral stair to the garden. She paced the long path to the back wall and back to the stair. As she turned to go back toward the wall a tall, robed figure fell in beside her.

"Happy Birthday, your Majesty," said Alperen as they paced together. "Don't fret. He's fine, save for his worry about you."

"Thank you," Jarah replied with a smile. "For the wishes and the reassurance. I hate every minute I must leave him there."

"He would be the first to tell you that assuring the safety of the kingdom is paramount, my Queen."

"I know." Jarah stopped, as did the seer. "But while my mind agrees, my heart chafes over his captivity." As though it were choreographed Alperen opened his arms and Jarah walked into his comforting embrace. "You're sure he's not hurt?"

"Save for a few bumps and bruises they have not harmed him physically and his heart is steadfast," Alperen said softly. "I have not seen so far, but I am certain that the trial will be worth it in the end. You need to follow your heart, dear girl. Your love will win out."

"Some will not like my choice of husband."

"As long as it doesn't lead them to insurrection—and it won't—it doesn't matter. In the course of the year of your betrothal they will see his worth."

"You've seen this?" she asked.

"I have," he replied, "but I would give you the same advice regardless."

"I believe you are an utter romantic, my celibate friend." She smiled up at him. "I think I should like to see you in love with the right woman."

"Few women would care for a husband with the sight," he said with a wistful smile, "and fewer still would see past it. Most don't see past my tattoos."

"The right woman would. You have a gentle, sensitive heart, Alperen."

"As do you, your Majesty. That is why Joshua loves you."

"I want to see him." Jarah sighed. "The thought of being with him again kept my spirits up for all this time. I miss him so."

"And I am sure he misses you as well. It will not be so very long, Jarah." He gave her a reassuring squeeze. "And not securing the throne would endanger you and inevitably lead to harm for him as well."