Chapter Fifteen

I woke up on Sunday morning to someone gently shaking me. I forced myself to open my eyes and saw Ryan standing above me. I glanced at the digital clock on my bedside table. It was 11:57.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Ryan said gently. "Your dad went out to get groceries and do some errands, so I thought I'd come wake you up. He'll be back in a few hours."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Good morning," I said, stifling a yawn.

Ryan took my hands and pulled me out of bed.

"Come on," he said. "We should go hang out while your dad's gone."

I grinned.

"Alright," I agreed.

We went downstairs to the living room. I took a seat on the couch.

"Are you going to have breakfast?" Ryan asked me.

"Nah, I'm never hungry when I've just woken up."

"Okay." He sat down next to me. "Do you want to watch TV or something?"

"Sure." I bent over to get the TV remote off the coffee table, and leaned back into Ryan's now outstretched arm. I put my head on his shoulder.

"What do you want to watch?" I asked.

"I don't know, you pick."

"I don't know, you're the guest."

"Well, it's your house!"

I flipped through the channels for a bit before turning off the TV.

"Why don't we just talk instead?" I suggested.

"Okay."

We sat in silence for a couple seconds.

"So what do you want to talk about?"

I started at Ryan, and we burst into laughter.

"Okay, okay," I said once we calmed down. "But seriously, how are you doing?"

"I'm good," he replied. "I kind of miss my family, but they were being really mean to me, so it's nice to be away from that."

I nodded understandingly.

"I think the person I miss the most is my little sister Lily. She's eight. When my family found out that I'm gay, she came up to me, and she said 'Ryan, I don't care if you like boys, because you'll still play soccer with me.' My parents heard her say that, and they threatened to take away her iPad for a week if she said something like that again. I hope I see her again soon."

I smiled.

"You should invite her to our wedding," I joked, trying to cheer him up.

Ryan laughed for a second, then stopped.

"Oh my god. My parents aren't going to come to my wedding."

"I was trying to cheer you up!"

"What if I adopt kids? They're never going to visit their grandparents!"

In an attempt to distract him, I leaned in and pressed my lips to his. He put his arms around my neck, and I moved my hands to his waist and pulled him closer.

We'd obviously kissed already, but this was somehow different. Before, I had just enjoyed being in the moment, since we were always near people and didn't have much time. But here, I never wanted to stop kissing. We were alone, and we had hours before my dad would get back.

I pulled away for a second, our foreheads touching, and looked into his eyes. I don't why brown eyes are considered ugly, because Ryan's were the prettiest damn eyes I'd ever seen.

I leaned back in, kissing more urgently, more eagerly than before. Ryan ran his fingers through my hair, and I moaned softly.

We must've kissed for hours, but it only felt like seconds. I would have gladly kissed Ryan for a lot longer, but the sound of the front door opening made us jump apart.

"Hey guys," my dad answered. "What'd you do while I was gone?"

"We, uh, watched TV," I lied. My dad looked at the television, which was clearly turned off, then back at me and Ryan.

"Okay," he said suspiciously.

Ryan stifled a giggle. I got up off the couch so I wouldn't start laughing.

"Can I help put the groceries away?" I offered.

"Of course," my dad replied. "Ryan, you too. You're not gonna get out of helping around the house."

Ryan laughed politely and got up from the couch to help.

"I'm glad I have a house to help around," he said to me. "Again, thanks so much."

"You're welcome," I replied. I kissed his cheek.

My dad smiled.

"You two are a cute couple," he told us.