The Bite Part 2

Jake grabbed my binder out of my arms and walked with me into class, setting it on the desk next to his.

"You look great," he whispered.

"Thanks! So do you." In fact, I'd like you to take a bite of me... errr no. Wrong! So Wrong.

"Did you do what you said you were going to do to your sister's homework?" he asked leaning into me.

As soon as he said it out loud I felt completely guilty but forced myself to get over it. It was only one lousy assignment paired with a presentation, and it would be a good lesson for her. Or would it? What if Sammy was right to be worried? Was spellcasting on Jake and screwing over my sister pushing my karma meter into the red zone?

"Yes," I replied quietly.

I felt his gaze on me more than once, which in turn made me flush.

The teacher had already started to lecture, but Jake leaned over to me again. The squeak of the desk rubbing on the linoleum got my attention and the kid's next to me.

"You feel bad, don't you?" he whispered.

Nodding quickly, I looked away.

"Don't. She deserves it. Remember she just tripped a girl for fun."

So he did see it. I threw Jake a grateful smile and tried to concentrate on what the teacher was saying, but I didn't care. There was only a week left of school. Did it really matter? I pretty much checked out of school like a month ago, maybe two.

The last assignment of the year was turned in for the class and the bell rang its high pitch screech. I walked out with Jake into the hallway that was already an octave higher because school only had two more hours before dismissal, and we wandered down the hall to Ceramics class. The karma comment really began hovering like a rain cloud over my head. I'd always tried to do the right thing. Why was I all of a sudden willing to tempt fate?

"I know what I'll do," I said to Jake.

"What's that?" His lips quirked up slightly, and I felt a shift in him, but I wasn't sure what.

"I'll text her not to read the paper. Then I'll feel completely guilt free for whatever events might unfold in Chemistry class."

"She never reads your texts," Jake said.

"Well, at least it will teach her to do that," I said.

"What about your just revenge?" Jake asked.

I just shook my head.

"Your heart of gold wins out again," Jake said, shaking his head. "Some guy's going to be very lucky someday."

Yes! Exactly! Why doesn't he see it for himself?

"Thanks." I smiled and attempted to text as quickly as I could.

"Josie don't read the paper in front of the class." I hit the send button and let out a sigh.

The Ceramic class went by quickly. No text was returned from Josie. It was exactly like my twin not to respond to anything I sent. I think out of the five years we've had the 'Family Share Plan' she's texted me twice and that was because our parents asked her to. I placed my yet-to-be fired coffee mug in a plastic bag and shoved it in my cubbyhole before taking off my rubber apron. The wall of last-minute pottery projects lined every surface available. There were coffee mugs, salad bowls, ashtrays, spoon rests all wrapped and stacked in plastic ready for the last firing round. I watched Jake wrap his sculpture in plastic and stick it the highest cubby, but then the nerves began to hit. I had to get out of the classroom.

My gut started twisting and knotting, but I didn't know if it was because of what was about to happen to my sister or because of the spell I couldn't wait to lock on Jake after class. Both were viable options for queasiness for sure.

"Hey, after next class I wanted to talk to you...alone," Jake said from behind.

I stopped in the hall and waited for him.

"You think you can shake Sammy for a few?" His smile was out of this world, and I followed his stare to Sammy who was bounding down the hall toward us.

"Of course!"

"Sweet."

We walked into Chemistry and all three of us took our seats. I spotted Josie who was in the back of the room talking incessantly to a group of fellow cheerleaders. No doubt they were all giving her a pep talk before her presentation.

Our teacher began clearing his throat, which was always his signal that class was to begin. Jake squeezed my hand and winked at me. I think he was looking forward to it as much as I was.

"Okay, class. We only have a few days to run through every student's presentation so let's get started."

Josie's hand shot up in the air as if she was reaching for something that was dangling from the drop ceiling. She would do anything to get attention from people, even if it meant presenting on a subject she had no clue about. I felt another eye roll coming, but I controlled myself. Instead Sammy did one for me and I stifled a giggle.

"Thank you, Josie, for volunteering," Mr. Taylor almost purred.

Yeah. It was so admirable of her.

Josie grabbed her paper and strutted her stuff down the aisle, taking extra care to pause in front of Jake's desk before she spun around to greet us all. She calmly stood in front of the Chemistry class, with Mr. Taylor sitting at his corner desk, arms folded, while she waited for everyone's attention.

I felt a wave of nervous energy coming from Sammy. She was eagerly awaiting the events to transpire since she helped to write some of the amazing commentary that Josie was about to read. She had grown tired of Josie always taking center stage too.

Judging by the look on Josie's face, she hadn't a care in the world, which meant she hadn't read the paper beforehand or my text. It wasn't like I didn't warn her.

"Hey, class," Josie began. "I know you're all itching to get out of here so we can go to the last pep-rally of the year."

The class cheered while I shifted uncomfortably in my chair. I glanced at Sammy who was wringing her hands together. I didn't seem so sure of this idea any longer, but there was nothing I could do.

"So I'll make it quick." Josie continued. She grabbed the paper and began reading it aloud.