Trolls

*Bilbo Pov*

It is nighttime, the warmth of the fire was welcoming, as I paced back and forth rather nervous. Bombur has prepared a dinner of soup, and the dwarves are eating it. Kili and Fili were watching the horses, as I sighed and stopped pacing as I went over to Bofur.

"He's been a long time." I spoke worried staring out into the night, wondering when Gandalf would finally come back. He left very angrily this afternoon.

"Who?" Bofur asked as he was pouring more soup into two bowls.

"Gandalf." I spoke to him as if it was obvious.

"He's a wizard! He does as he chooses. Here, do us a favor: take this to the lads." Bofur chuckled as he nodded towards the direction of Kili and Fili as I took the two warm bowls in my cold fingers. I took a moment to understand what was happening before I nodded and carefully without spilling the soup, walked towards Kili and Fili.

"Stop it, you've had plenty." I heard Bofur snap annoyed, probably towards Bombur, I had seen him trying to get more soup to eat. I stumbled slipping a little soup burning my cold skin, as through the dark I tried to watch my feet and where I was going as I made my way wobbly over to Fili and Kili who were watching the ponies, however they were staring out in the darkness almost in a daze. I held the bowls out for them but none of them took the food, as I turned from one dwarf to the other frowning.

"What's the matter?" I asked them as they both gulped and looked slightly nervous, and a tint of fear in their eyes.

"We're supposed to be looking out for the ponies." Kili whispered

"Only we've encountered a slight problem." Fili bit his lip nervous as I looked out at the ponies trying to do a quick count.

"We had sixteen." Kili gulped

"Now there's fourteen." Fili finished for him as we examined the group of ponies who were happily eating the grass. I placed the soup down, as we went round looking for who was missing from the group of ponies.

"Daisy and Bungo are missing." Kili reported as I was about to head back.

"Well, that's not good. That is not good at all. Shouldn't we tell Thorin?" I asked them as they both looked alarmed and what I suggested. And tried stopping me laughing nervously, as I frowned. They both were so afraid of their uncle as I shrugged.

"Uhh, no. Let's not worry him. As our official burglar, we thought you might like to look into it." Fili replied rather quickly, as I looked around to see a few trees had looked like they had been uprooted and were lying on the ground. I glanced closer and saw that this was actually a rather recent event.

"Well, uh...look, some--something big uprooted these trees." I gulped as I looked over at the uprooted trees lying on the ground as the others came over nodding.

"That was our thinking." Kili nodded as I felt rather nervous.

"Something very big, and possibly quite dangerous." I mutter, what on middle earth could have done this? Maybe I should have stayed home, this doesn't look like a very friendly monster.

"Hey! There's a light. Over here! Stay down." Fili hissed out as Kili and I ran over towards him quietly along the forest floor. I nearly tripped a few times, as we kneeled down and hid behind one of the uprooted tree. I realized that the light coming from in front of us was actually the light from a fire. Suddenly I gulped and my blood shivered when I heard the harsh laughter coming from that direction.

"What is it?" I asked trying to sound brave, when I was really frightened inside.

"Trolls." Kili sneered, just then Kili and Fili ran further forward as I groaned and rolled my eyes. I stumbled over the uprooted tree, before I remembered the soup and grabbed the two warm bowls for the dwarves before I ran on after them. Just as I kept running I ducked behind a tree, to see a massive ugly mountain troll walking towards the fire, carrying a pony under each arm, as I gasped.