Prologue

The day that we found out Devon Jones had died the cafeteria food was extra stale: like the air.

He was only 16, far too young to be lying six feet under the earth, and the whole town agreed as they mourned. Deep, dark mourning.

Gracie Sully's wales were ghostly in the darkened hallway and echoed into the dull cafeteria where I sat, alone. I could understand though - he was her sweetheart - and that's why I sat patiently, simply staring deep into the murky depths of the bland looking gravy.

I didn't complain.

I just sat in the grubby hue of the open room, as many others did, in deep whirls of nothingness: devoid of any emotions. Many had cried and many had savagely roared at each other, angry that his supposed 'friends' didn't look out for him and had seemingly allowed the events to roll on out like a carpet of raw, ripe, red blood. I did neither: I was simply detached and unable to allow myself the chance to be emotional. It wasn't that I didn't care (quite the contrary) it was the fact that I never knew him - never wanted to - and I still didn't want to.

Not that that would be possible now...

He was dead. Deader than dead. The students would soon forget him and the hallways would no longer be cast in grey shadows like today. The teachers would carry on with the dismal and grueling job of educating and the world as we knew it would keep on turning without him. Devon Jones would soon be a ghost of the past, his deep eyes and bouncing hair disappearing into the fog of the forgotten. Even Gracie would move on: perhaps finding new blossoming love in the sweet smiles of another young heart. She too would forget and leave her dead sweetheart's soul to rest in the dust and rubble of the school. He would be forgotten, will be forgotten, and as the drips of sorrowful tears glistened under the shuddering cafeteria lights, I decided that I wouldn't cry, that I wouldn't be angry, that I wouldn't be anything. There was no point. He was dead, six feet under and stone cold. He was gone. And there was nothing any of us could do.

Well, nothing I was willing to do anyway . . .

____________________________________________________________________________________

Wanted to do a short chapter to start off with and I hope you liked it!

I quite busy with exams and homework but I really want to keep this story rolling and as up to date as I possibly can.

So don't be upset if it takes me a while to do this story and I will do my best.

Thanks for reading and there will be a playlist for this book (a song per chapter).