34 / Maddie

"We need to talk" I heard someone say. I shut my locker to see Luke stood behind it. It had been two weeks since we last talked.

"I'm not really in the mood"

"I am"

"For an argument?"

"There's not gonna be one"

"You can guarantee that?"

"I hope so" He said before turning and starting to walk away. He turned back around as he walked. "Meet me at the lookout at 6 tonight. If you don't show up by 7, I'll assume you've decided against giving me a chance" He turned back around and walked away.

***

"Dad, come on. If I'm late-"

"Maddie, I'm going as fast as I can in this traffic"

"Ugh, I wish I could drive"

"You'd still be in this traffic" I sighed knowing he was right. "Are you really going to give him another chance?"

"I don't know. I just need to hear what he has to say"

"You need to or want to?"

"Both"

"I'm sorry to say, but from what you've told me, you should give the boy a chance. He seems pretty sorry if you ask me. You should believe what he says, he wouldn't have bothered sticking around after the first time if it was all a bet. He would've got what he wanted from you"

"I know but, I just don't know. I just don't get why he didn't tell me"

"Boys don't always think things through until it's too late" I looked at the time and saw it was 6:38. We were still 15 minutes away now we were out the traffic. "You'll be there in time, don't worry"

**

"Thanks, don't worry about picking me up"

"Alright, good luck" I nodded and hugged my dad before getting out the car and rushing towards where I could see a figure stood, looking out at the views. He didn't notice my presence until I tapped his shoulder. He took his headphones out and paused his music before turning around.

"Hi"

"You're here, I didn't think you were coming" He said, wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back, missing the feeling of being in his arms.

"I'm sorry I'm late, we got stuck in traffic and my dad didn't leave on time and-"

"You're here, that's all that matters. I would've stayed later anyway"

"Then why'd you say seven?"

"I knew I would've lost most hope by then"

"So, why are we here?"

"I know you haven't forgiven me so hopefully this'll help"

"I just want you to know, I am open to giving you another chance. I want to hear you out first though"

"Thank you" I smiled as we sat on the bench we did before. "I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am and how bad I feel. I'm just- I can even begin to tell you how bad I feel. I want you to know that if everything was a bet I wouldn't have done half the things I did for and with you. I doubt I would've invited you into my house that day you came crying after your brother died. I probably wouldn't have stayed at yours for dinner that time. I wouldn't have done as much work as I did on that project. I wouldn't have took you to that pizza place and then decided it was a date. I wouldn't have took you to the lake. I've never taken anyone there. No one knows it even exists to me except for you and Charlie. I know I was a dick but I wouldn't have had sex with you if it was a bet. I couldn't have brought myself to do it. I wouldn't have been there to support you when you had no friends. I doubt I would've waited over a month to have sex with you if I was going to go along with the bet, not that I would've. I wouldn't have introduced you to all my family that day. I wouldn't have talked to you after that night if I didn't feel something for you. But most importantly, if everything was a bet, I wouldn't have fallen for you. I like you so damn much, Madison" I felt a tear roll down my cheek as Luke finished.

"Luke, I don't know what to say" I felt more tears fall.

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm just, I don't know. What you said made me think. I'm sorry I didn't hear you out properly the first time"

"You have nothing to be sorry for. It's all my fault"

"You make me happy, Luke"

"You do the same to me"

"I forgive you"

"Really?" He smiled as I nodded. "Thank you. So, are we back together?"

"I guess we are"

"I thought I'd lost you for good"

"If you do anything like this again, you're dead. You know that, right?"

"Bit of luck I'm not planning on fucking up again then"

"Good"

"I like you, Mads" He leaned down and kissed me quickly.

"I like you too, Luke, I really do" He looked down at me and smiled before pressing his lips to mine again for longer this time. "Did I overreact?"

"Maybe a little" He joked.

"Seriously"

"OK, don't kill me. Maybe you did slightly, I don't know but you had every right to react as you did"

"I'm glad you think so"

"I really am sorry. I never meant for things to go as far as they did"

"I know, I just wish you'd told me earlier"

"I wish I had too"

"Let's try and put it behind us though. I'm not gonna say I'll completely forget it happened but I'll put it behind us"

"That's fair enough" He said. "We should head back, with school tomorrow and everything"