Chapter 1(3 years after)

Elixander White and Emberlynn White have been hiding and running since they were 10 years old. The twins are 13 and still on the run. They have made it across the border that America and Mexico share. They are trekking through the Rocky Mountains. Eli looks to his sister and wishes they could return home. Emberlynn can feel her twin's gaze and wills her legs to move faster. Up ahead, Em sees a mound of snow that is oddly shaped. Thinking that it's a dead animal that was preserved in the snow she pulls out a trowel and shovels the snow off of it, only to see a strand of dull red hair and pale white skin. The scent of Hibiscus tickled her nostrils and she stood there for only a moment before breaking into action. "Eli! Get over here, now," Em screamed.

"What is it Em," Eli asked, alarmed.

"It's a girl! She doesn't have any winter clothes on." Em replied, worried by the girls appearance. Eli then rushed to his sister's side. He saw a girl lying on the cold snowy path.

"Eli set up the camp now, we need to get the girl warm or she might not make it." Em commanded. Eli rushed to the packs and set up the camp as fast as he could. Then he hurried back to his sister and the strange girl that they found in the snow. He then helped Em carry the girl to the campsite.

"We need to get her in dry clothes and warm her up or she'll get hypothermia." Eli stated.

"Eli, go get my spare dry clothes and hand them in." Em snapped.

"Okay." Eli raced over to where the backpack lied in the smaller tent, then ran back to the main tent and passed it through the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the mountain's base, the Rangers scoured for the two children they had been hunting.

"Find them," The leader ordered.

A Ranger towards the back of the group muttered acidly "We're trying..."

"Not hard enough since we have yet to find them." The leader replied.

A 13 year boy stands and watches the conversation with mild interest. His father is the leading Ranger and he does not understand why they are hunting for the children that he saved that night. His black hair and forest green are highly contrasted to that of his fathers. His father is a blonde man with piercing gray eyes. He can guess that the people his father is looking for are already over the mountain.

"Father, we should set up camp for the night," the boy commented.

His father looked at him spitefully and said, "We cannot lose them, and we are so close to catching those disgusting rats that have managed to slip through our fingers for so long."

To which the boy replied, "The men don't have the energy to continue searching for them. Let them sleep, they will do better tomorrow."

The father turned to the men and in a harsh tone said, "Set up camp for the night. We will continue the search in the morning." There were a few groans of complaints and just as many quizzical looks. The boy understood why they were confused. Why would a man who treats his son so bad listen to him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Up in the mountain pass, Eli impatiently paces outside the main tent. He thinks to himself 'What's happening? Has anything gone wrong?' "Emberylnn, what is going on? Why is it taking so long?" Eli asked his sister, worriedly.

"I'm fine Eli, chill out. The girl is waking up and I don't want her to wake up to hearing your squirrely voice." Em replied, vaguely amused.

"Fine, can I enter the tent? Wait I do NOT sound like a squirrel." He snapped back exasperated.