Chapter 2 - I Hope He is a Gentleman

Ashley

            A week passed, and Josh didn't ask any more about Patrick or that night at Andy's. I was glad for it, but he always had other things to complain about. One day, it was that I didn't do my hair the way he liked. The next, it was that I made steak for dinner instead of the chicken he was in the mood for. Every night ended the same way as it had for well over a year now. He pushed me around, hit me, screamed at me, and then we went to bed. Once in a while, the few nights that didn't end in screaming, ended with him asking for favors in bed. We didn't make love anymore, at least, not like we used to. He was really the only one who ever got anything out of it, but I never argued. I simply did as I was told.

            Today, I had asked him if I could go and see Pete after lunch. He asked if Patrick would be there, and I answered honestly by telling him I wasn't sure. He yelled for a while, but eventually agreed to let me go when I started crying about not seeing my brother enough. At least tonight he couldn't beat me for lying to him.

            I got ready to leave after I made lunch for Josh, not having enough time to eat anything myself. I dressed simply, in a pair of jeans, my black converse, and one of my Fall Out Boy t-shirts. I was careful not to choose one that had Patrick's face on it. I also pulled on a light hoodie, to cover up the still healing, yellowish bruises on my arms.

            Josh ignored me as I left, going down to the parking lot to wait for Pete to pick me up. When he pulled up, I climbed into the passenger seat and leaned over to hug him. "How's my little sister?" He asked, starting the engine as I put on my seatbelt.

            "Starved," I laughed, as my stomach growled on cue. Pete shook his head and pulled out of the parking lot.

            "Didn't you have lunch?"

            "No, I made Josh lunch, and then I didn't have time to eat before I left. Could you go through a McDonald's drive-thru or something? I have money."

            Pete shook his head and sighed as he drove. "I'll pay, Ashley, don't worry about it. Why couldn't he make his own lunch?"

            He seemed annoyed, so I shrugged and looked down at my lap as I played with my fingers. "I just usually do it for him. No big deal.

            "Hmm," Pete hummed, a half-hearted response. He was quiet until we got to McDonalds and he asked what I wanted. I leaned over him and ordered for myself, shouting towards the console in the drive-thru.

            Once we had food, we drove quietly to Pete's house. I had already eaten my food by the time we got there, so I threw my bag in the garbage as soon as we walked in. Almost immediately, I was surprised by someone running into the living room at full speed, and lifting me sideways over their shoulders. I screamed, kicking my legs as I realized who it was. "I have the princess!" Joe yelled, turning so I could see Bronx, my four-year-old nephew standing behind him.

            "Not princess Ash!" He squealed, and I noticed he was holding a foam sword at his side. Joe growled at him playfully, and I gathered that he was the monster in this game. "Knight Patrick!" Bronx yelled, looking down the hallway beside him. In an instant, Patrick came running into the room, also holding a foam sword, and posed heroically behind Bronx. "Get him!" Bronx commanded, pointing at Joe with his sword. Patrick did as he was told, charging playfully at Joe as the latter sprinted away, past Pete and out the front door. I laughed as I was carried around the yard, Patrick and Bronx right behind us. Bronx eventually got close enough to start hacking away at Joes' legs, and he feigned his own death, gently dropping me to me feet as he fell over and rolled onto his back, closing his eyes and letting his jaw go sack, his tongue lolling out to one side. Bronx, apparently unsatisfied, walked over and smacked him once more in stomach with his sword. Joe groaned, and Patrick walked over to me, smiling. "Princess!" Bronx yelled, running to hug me.  I laughed as I leaned down to kiss the top of his head. "Hi, Aunt Ash," he giggled, looking up at me. He looked at Patrick then and pointed to me. "Knight Patrick! We saved the princess! The knight has to kiss her now!"