CHAPTER 2

CHAPTER 2

We stood at the edge of the city, taking in the destruction before us. The smell of rotting bodies hung heavy in the air.

"It looks pretty much the same." Trip observed. I nodded, my eyes sweeping the terrain, looking for zombies. I could hear dogs barking in the distance.

"We should go. Before the zombies come." Bobbi said, nudging me. I was shaken from my thoughts and I looked at her, nodding.

"Yeah." I replied quietly, checking my watch. 11:30am.

"We should only take the horses as far as we've been. There'll probably be more zombies on the other side since there's no traps. Besides, they would be too loud." Bobbi suggested. I shook my head.

"We should ride them but walking. We need the storage and it'll take too long to make multiple trips to the horses." I objected.

"I guess so." Bobbi sighed. She jerked on the reigns and headed in a trot into the city, Trip following behind. I took one last look for any zombies and followed them.

We raced through the streets littered with broken cars and dead bodies. I kept note of which streets we passed so I knew when to slow down. The old memory of walking through this city came back to me and my hands itched with the urge to go kill some zombies. I was pulled from my daydreams when I realised where we were.

"Slow down guys!" I called in a quiet tone. Bobbi and Trip stopped, waiting patiently. I stopped beside them and pulled the map back out.

"Is this the furthest we've been? I honestly don't remember." Trip asked. I nodded, matching the street name to that of the map.

"Alright. The map says there's a hunting store 2 blocks from here, a pharmacy next to that and a supermarket another 2 from there." I began.

"We should get the hunting store first." Bobbi stated. I nodded and tucked the map into my pocket, tugging the reins and heading west.

I made note of all the stores that we passed, gesturing silently to them as we rode by. There were standard clothing stores and small convenience stores that weren't worth searching through for now. This side of town was definitely messier, fresh evidence of zombies scattered around. Fresh puddles of blood and mushy brains lay astrewn and disembodied limbs. I crinkled my nose as we passed another rotting body, this one already torn apart with flesh missing.

We reached an intersection and I glanced at the street sign. Burrard street.

"The hunting store's just up the street." I whispered. Trip and Bobbi both looked that way.

"See it?" I asked. They nodded. I beckoned for them to followed and headed up to it. I The glass of the store was broken in places but seemed relatively intact. The door was still shut. I carefully hopped off Basil and tied him to a lamp post. Trip and Bobbi both hopped off their own horses and tied Fancy and Demon to the same post. I held a finger up to my lips and crept towards the windows. I wiped a patch clean and peered inside. I squinted through the darkness and made out several staggering forms. I turned to Trip and Bobbi who were doing the same and held up 5 fingers. Bobbi shook her head and held 6. I shrugged my shoulders and lay a questions hand on my machete and pointed to my bow with the other. Bobbi had her dual steel batons and Trip had a machete and a cautionary pistol. Trip grabbed my arm and led me to a low hole in the window. He made a lifting motion with his hands then a throwing one.

"Take them out." he was saying. I nodded and silently grabbed the bow and notched an arrow. I drew the bow and shut one eye, aiming and the most secluded zombie. Thankfully zombies move slowly so headshots aren't too hard to score. I took a deep breath. Exhaling, I let the arrow fly. It met its mark and the zombie fell without a sound. I quickly took out 2 more until one of them let out a disgusting moan. The remaining three began to stagger towards the sound, groaning. They seemed to realise we were there and stumbled towards the glass. I slung the bow across my back and pulled out the machete. Trip and Bobbi yanked the door open and charged inside and I followed closely behind. My heart beat wildly as I made for the nearest zombie. I ducked a swipe from its disgusting arm and sliced it off simultaneously. I shot up and sliced the head off. I flicked the slime off the blade and watched as Trip and Bobbi finished their own off.