twenty three

"Congrats Bambi." Mia says, nodding her head.

Bambi swallows, looking down at her hands, at her ring. "Thank you, Mia." She says, looking up. Things were awkward and slightly tense.

"Do you have any plans on when you guys are going to get married?" Mia asks, tilting her head a bit.

"Uhm, possibly the summer. Laurent wants it to be on my birthday, but I don't know about that." She chuckles, grabbing her arm. "I came here to ask... if you wanted to be my Maid of Honor?"

Mia frowns, biting her tongue. "Bambi..."

"You don't have to. I was just asking." She mutters, looking down. She hated feeling this awkward, but what could she do? She hadn't talked to Mia in forever, and she tried. She's tried her hardest to reach out to Mia, but now the tables have turned and Mia was avoiding Bambi.

Guess that's karma for you.

"I don't... I don't think I can."

"It's alright." Bambi says, forcing a smile on her face. "You don't even have to come, whenever it'll be. But, just know, that you're always welcome."

"Yeah." Mia nods. "Thanks, Bambi."

"No problem." Bambi says, and gets up out of the seat. "I'll catch you later then." She says, waving at her. Bambi turns around, sighing as she walks out of the dining hall, rubbing her eyes a bit.

"That was hard." She mutters, sighing. She really didn't know what to expect. She didn't think Mia would say that she wasn't going, that was for sure. She wanted Mia to go. She wanted Mia to be there on the biggest day of her life.

She sighs, pulling her phone out of her pocket and dialing her dad's number.

"Hey Deer, what's up?"

"You wanna hang out dad?"

"I thought you had class today."

"I'm... I'm not really feeling it." She mutters, looking down.

"Are you okay, Bambi?"

"A little bit. I just... I'm just gonna go back home."

"I'll meet you there and you can tell me what's wrong, okay?"

-

She sighs, closing her eyes. "And that's what happened." She says, laying her head on Larry's shoulder.

"It'll be okay, Bambi, right papa?" Larry says, looking at her father.

"Yes. I'm sure Mia will come around."

"She won't." Bambi mutters, closing her eyes. "I should've known though. She couldn't take anymore and just... left. It's okay though." She says, getting up and looking at the two males by her side. "I should be happy. I'm marrying the man I love. I'm happy."

"Speaking of that." Her father says, clearing his throat and looking at Larry. "I would like to speak to Bambi privately, Larry."

"Yeah, for sure." Larry says, getting up. He presses a kiss to Bambi's forehead before walking out.

It's silent for a while, before her father clears his throat. "You know all I want for you is happiness, right Bambi?"

"Yeah..." She mutters, playing with the ring.

"And I'm not saying you can't be with him... but do you really think you're ready?"

"For what? Marriage?"

"Yes. You're still young, Deer. And so is he. And you barely see him on top of everything. He's always everywhere but with you. Do you really think you can do that?"

"Yeah. We've been good so far." Bambi says, trying not to cop an attitude. She trusted Laurent. It took her a while, but she does. She wanted to get married to him. If she didn't, she wouldn't say yes.

"I just... I don't want you to... be lonely." He says, his voice low, the tone making a chill run through her. She knew that tone. "I don't want... you to do the same as... your mother."

She closes her eyes tightly. "How could you say that?" She whispers.

"I'm sorry, Bambi, I just... I'm trying to keep an eye on you. I don't want you to be depressed. It's just... They say there's a possibility you could be diagnosed because she had it and... you've shown signs. That's why I was afraid to leave you here, by yourself, but Anela-"

"You just let her. You didn't put up a fight or anything. You know you needed a break, and that's cool." Bambi shrugs, trying to calm herself. "That's cool. Just don't... Please don't say anything like that. I'll be fine." She says, closing her eyes and placing her hands in her lap.

"Deer, please don't be mad."

"I'm fine." She mutters, raising her eyes up at him. "Can you leave? I want to be alone."

His shoulders slump. "Alright." He mutters. "I'll see you later, Bambi."

"Bye."

-

"Bambi, you've been here all day." Larry says and Bambi shrugs, keeping her eyes on the ceiling. "You not gonna go with me?"

"No, I'm okay." She sighs.

"What's wrong Bambi? Why have you been staying here all day?"

"I'm just tired." She mutters, closing her eyes. "It's fine."

Larry watches her, concerned. "Bambi, talk to me."

"I'm okay, Larry. Don't worry." She mutters, shaking her head.

"Bambi, tell me."

"Okay!" She huffs, getting up and looking at him. "Fuck, I'm just... I don't know. I'm second guessing everything. I'm unsure of myself. I'm not happy anymore. Things aren't going well anymore. My father thinks I'm depressed and I'm gonna kill myself just like my mother because he thinks I'm not ready for marriage." She quickly says, her voice cracking. "And... maybe I'm not." She covers her face. "I was so happy."

"It's okay, Bambi." Larry says, taking her into his arms. "Don't worry about all of that. Lau love you, you no depressed and you not gon do all of... that. If you don't think you ready, just stay engaged. Talk to Lau and work things out. No one say you have to get married tomorrow." He says, rubbing her back. "You gon get through this. You gon be happy again, but if you stay in here, you not. You can't stay here and over think and worry. You gotta pick yourself up."