Chapter 5

^Love this 💕

Clarisse POV

I'm starting to wish I was a Roman demigod.

I mean, sure they're kind of wimpy and they go on and on about fairness and honor, but hey, they have some badass war games. All we have is capture the flag.

Since the gods are here, Chiron has a ton of extra time, so he's been organizing different war games every night. Last night was Chariot Racing... and tonight Athena cabin is going down.

"Campers!" Chiron calls. Everyone puts down their forks and falls silent. "Tonight's activity is deathball/capture the flag crossover! On one side we have Ares and on the other we have Athena cabin. Other cabins divide yourselves up equally please. The winner is the team who reaches the other team's base first. No maiming or killing. The Roman demigods built the bases this morning labarynth-stlye on either side of the beach- the grey stone is Athena base and the red stone is Ares base. Meet at the beach in 20 minutes."

I wolf down the rest of my steak (how does Prissy like cheeseburgers? This is real meat) and called together my troops. "Let's go! I want to scout the field before the games!"

The rest of Ares/Mars cabon falls in behind me and I lead them to the red stone fortress.

Now, another thing I have to admit is the Romans have some fast building skills. This fort is not as well proteccted as Ares cabin, but it'll do. It has four towers, a wall with water cannons, a moat filled with poison-tiped spikes (the kind that temporarily paralyzes you- no fun), and 2-foot deep walls.

It turns out we have a pretty good team. We get Apollo, Hecate, Hermes, and Demeter. The Athena team gets all the smaller cabins.

Chiron canters to the beach where we're all gathered. "Alright, again, no killing or maiming. The object is to get to the other fort and touch their flag. If you're tagged, go back to your fort, then you can attack again. The gods will provide the weapons for their children. These weapons will TEMPORARILY DISABLE the target but will not kill. I am medic and the gods whose children are not here will serve as referees. Go to your fort to get your weapons."

We jog back to the fort. Inside, Ares, Apollo, Hecate, Hermes, and Demeter are waiting.

"Clarisse, pass these out to your siblings," Dad says. I grab the blood-red guns and start chucking them to people. "Your weapons will use electricity to stun and temporarily paralyze your target. Unlimited ammo, 10 shots per minute. Equipped with silencers, of course."

"Will?" Apollo says, handing him the golden guns and explaining, "Yours will temporarily make your opponent blind and all they'll hear is elevator music. Unlimited ammo, 10 shots per minute. Silencers."

Hecate hands her purple guns to Tracy, one of her daughters. "Yours will create the illusion of movement, when really they'll be running in circles. Small circles. Temporarily, of course. Unlimited ammo, 10 shots per minute. Silencers."

Hermes gives each half his sky-blue guns to one of the Stolls. "These guns will anchor your target's feet to the ground for a little while. Unlimited ammo, 10 shots per minute. Silencers."

Demeter hands Katie her grass-green guns. "These will encase them in a temporary cage made of saplings. The saplings will disappear after a while. Unlimited ammo, 10 shots per minute. Silencers."

Connor raised his hand. "So, how long is 'temporarily'?"

"2 minutes," Ares answers.

"And if we get tagged?" Katie asks.

"You're teleported back here," Demeter says. "Use the trees to your advantage; most of the route between here and the other fort is forest. During the beach stretch, SPRINT AND GUN IT."