Rusty Secrets

After a long day we get home and with lots of encouragement from Jorge, I have more or less emptied his whole salary. I told him many times that I didn't need a third pair of shoes or a vanilla scented shampoo but he insisted for me to take it. I wonder if there is something ever to make him annoyed or miserable, he has done nothing but treating me like...like his girlfriend...although we have only known each other for a little bit more than a day. I can't say that I complain, from the minute I met him I was hypnotized by his eyes, his pure heart. It's weird how you can feel so intensely for someone you just met, it's like you've known them for your whole life.

"What are you thinking about?"

I snap back to reality and see Jorge eyeing me where we are sitting on the porch, just finished our dinner. I swallow and blush slightly. "You", I mumble quickly and his lips curl slightly.

"Really? And what does your mind think of me?"

"That you are the sweetest person I've met."

He chuckles slightly. "I hope I am."

"It's given", I state and lean back in the couch, enjoying the breeze on my cold shoulders. "I just can't understand why."

"What do you mean?", he asks and seems to tense slightly.

"You treat me so preciously, as if I am all you have...", I say and see how he stops slightly. "I really like it, I do but I've just never seen that before with anyone else."

"Some interactions remark themselves", he says cryptically and I raise my eyebrow, not really satisfied with that answer.

"I can't be the only girl within Argentina Memory Models to have felt like this."

"I'm sure you're not."

"Then I am not the only one to have been here with you?"

He looks at me, flustered as he didn't expect this. He sighs which makes me feel nervous, what was it that he didn't want to tell me?

"You are the only one, Tini and I'm glad the situation is different", he says abruptly before he takes our plates and walk inside. Puzzled I repeat his words in my mind before I hurry after him to the kitchen.

"What do you mean the situation is different? I don't understand..."

"Which is for the best. I don't want to talk about it."

I drop my jaw, feeling a mixture of emotions inside. "So I need to wear my heart on my sleeve but you can't even open yours?"

He looks at me as he is doing the dishes, seeming distracted. "It's not like that and you know it."

"Really? Because apparently you don't want to trust me!", I say and cross my arms.

"It's not a matter of trust; it's a matter of...of you not having more on your shoulders than you already do."

I look at him, feeling really stupid. "Don't you think I will be drowning of it if you don't tell me?!"

His shoulders tense as he remains silent and places everything on the counter. Within a few seconds he turns to me and I feel tears sting behind my eyes. It's not possible we already were fighting.

"Like I said, I don't want to talk about it", he says firmly and passes me on his way out. Desperately I grab hold of his sweater, making him stop. With a great sigh he takes my hand and lifts it off his arm before he walks to his room, leaving me hurt in the kitchen.

..................................................................................................................

I lie in my bed, staring at the coral wall and the light that is casted upon it. I feel like it's midnight already and even though the tiredness has possessed my body I refuse to sleep. Silent tears fall down my cheeks as I keep replaying our small fight. Over and over it hurts as much. It's slightly ironic how Lucinda could exclude me, treating me like I was nothing every day and it only hurt the hundredth time but he only had to push me away once and I would feel like I had nothing left to be here for. Slightly exaggerating maybe, but that's all I could muster to think of. The only person who has ever been nice to me as far as I can remember doesn't let me inside his walls while I've already let mine fallen for him.

It's just not fair.

Suddenly I hear a light knock on the door and for a minute I don't know whether I should pretend to sleep or not but find it too late to do otherwise as he already opens the door. I lean my head away from him, wrapping my arms tighter around myself as I hear the faded click and his steps carefully walking towards me.

"Martina...I'm really sorry", he says and I feel how he sits down on the bed. I bite my lip not to give in and I hear how he sighs.

"I understand that you are hurt, and I'm honestly really sorry, I didn't intend for you to be. It's just... The reason I don't want to tell you is because we have only just met and even though I feel something very special with you I'm just..."

In anticipation, I remain quiet, waiting for his thoughts to trail off his lips. Suddenly I feel his hand on mine, trying slightly to unwrap the grip of my elbows.

"I'm just not ready to tell you."

I sigh quietly and with a frustrated sound escaping my mouth I turn my head to him, meeting his glistening eyes looking at me. I swallow. He strokes my hand gently while his eyes almost bore into my soul as if to make me see how sorry he is.

"Hey...", he says in an attempt to make me talk, "The feeling is mutual, I promise. I like you being here with me."

I sigh, not holding it any longer. "I like it too."

He smiles slightly as I sit up more straight and lean towards him. "I got hurt because it feels like you don't see this like I do..."

"And how is that?"

"Like we are friends."

"We are Tini."

"Yes, but..."

"No buts, this is us right now and I really like it", he says with a warm smile, "Now you have to live with my endless dancing when cleaning the house."

I laugh as I feel like the knot inside me slowly unties itself. He really could make it all better and worse at the same time.

"Alright, I forgive you. For now", I say and see how he lights up as he leans closer to hug me. His cologne prickles my nose as I inhale and in his arms I feel like an icecube melting away.

Like the last piece of a puzzle.