Link's Parents

Link was scared.

His parents were gone.

His father,a knight, died on a mission.

His mother, dying of illness after his father's disappearance, told him to be brave just before she passed.

He was seven years old when that happened.

He only had one thing to live for now.

His Crimson Loftwing.

Crimson.

It wasn't very original, but Link was never very good with names and it just seemed to fit the massive bird.

Crimson was the only thing that was keeping him going. His bird was the closest thing to family he had now.

Whenever Link felt the need to take his mind off of things, he would just hop on his bird and fly away, away from the stress of a normal life and the sadness he felt when his parents passed, on his bird he just felt, free.

However, there were some things that he just couldn't fly away from.

Things like, his parents funeral.

It was decided that both of there funerals would be held on the same day to save money, since his family was sort of poor. To pay for the funeral and their debts, it was decided that all the money from their accounts would be taken along with their house. Because of that, Link no longer had anywhere he could call home.

When the day of the funeral came around, Link tried his hardest to make himself look nice or at least presentable (which was slightly difficult, what with living by himself with just the support of his Loftwing), but people looked at him angrily muttering amongst themselves, "He has the audacity to show up like that to his parents' funeral?! Disrespectful! That wretched boy needs to learn a thing or two about manners."

He knew he must have looked rather horrid because of living on his own for a week or so, but that didn't mean that he didn't respect his parents. Dead or not, he would never disrespect them.

As the funeral carried on, his Loftwing began to circle overhead, giving the occasional screech, letting Link know he was there and Link was grateful for that.

After the funeral, as people began to leave, Link stayed behind silently mourning the loss of his parents as the heavens mourned with him.

A few minutes later a large man walked up to him with a small girl behind him. The man said his name was Gaepora and that he was the headmaster of the Knight Academy. He said that he knew what Link was going through and offered him a chance to have a place he could call home again. He said he would give Link a full scholarship as long as maintained good grades and kept up with his classes.

Link was hesitant. He didn't want Crimson to feel like he was forgotten. He also didn't want to be made fun of for being different (because he was much quieter than other people were and was raised by a bird-sort of), but he did want to make friends.

Sensing his internal conflict, Crimson began to nuzzle his young master in an effort to comfort him.

Seeing him hesitate, Zelda began to explain that as a knight, they would ride their chosen Loftwing and patrol the skies around Skyloft, defending it from whatever came their way. She also promised to be his best friend and protect him from bullies.

Link looked at Crimson and the large bird nodded its' head. Link looked at the headmaster and his daughter and nodded. Zelda smiled, took his hand, and ran off towards the academy with Link in tow.

Gaepora sighed and looked at Crimson. "Thank you for looking after Link when no one else could and please continue to look after and protect them."

Crimson just tilted his head as if to say, "Why do you think I would stop taking care of my young partner?"

The headmaster laughed and watched the bird take to the skies to follow his partner.

Gaepora turned back to the graves of his young friends.

"If you two were here, I think you would be proud of your son. Even though he was on his own for a while he was able to overcome it and take care of himself. I know he will be quite the adventurer, just like you two." With that Gaepora started walking towards the academy to join with Zelda and Link.

As he walked away, two ghostly apparitions appeared in front of the graves.

We will always be proud of our son.