Chapter 19

I approached our usual place in the canteen, where all my friends were seated, with my lunched tray and with a fast beating heart. Even when they were my usual group of friends, I felt something catastrophic was about to happen.

I stood there and said an awkward common hi.

Yami replied with an high pitched hi, Viji with a lay wave, Julie with a glare, Abijeet ...with ignorance.

I looked for an empty seat. The only empty seat was between Yami and Abijeet. I took that seat reluctantly.

Just as I was about to keep my first morsel of food in my mouth, "So, this is another one of your many attempts to take away my boyfriend from me?",Julie said sarcastically.

I decided not to burst with anger. "Oh Julie, if your boyfriend is so fickle minded that he will fall for a girl who sits beside him, then alas, unlucky you" I said and gave her a look of pity.

"What about your other desperate attempts then?", she spat out.

"Oh Please...! Your boyfriend is not Mr. Handsomest.", I retorted.

"Oh really! Then why did you try to make him jealous by flirting with that guy Siddarth?", she accused.

"There is nothing as such between him and me and there is no need to explain anything to you as both you and your boyfriend, mean nothing to me". I eyed Abijeet. There he was, eating, unaffected either by my distant tone or Julie's cruel words. He, the cause of the turmoil at the table, stood up once he finished eating, taking the trash and moved away without a second glance

"Don't act too smart", she said stood up ready to follow him.

"Just because you are too dumb, everyone seems 'too smart' for you", said Yami without lifting her eyes off her lunch plate.

With that, Julie shouted, "Really Yami? You are supporting her now? Be careful, once she fails in stealing my friend from me, which she will, that bitch will aim for your's"

That's it. She had hit the nail. All my patience evaporated in a second. I stood up fiercely to slap her. But before my hand collided with her cheeks, I heard the sound of a slap and a scream of pain.

"Don't you dare say another word. For if another word exits from that ruthless mouth, I will literally kill you.", Yami said to Julie who was still holding her cheeks from the impact of her slap.

We had become the afternoon show for the whole college. Yami continued to shout at her and Viji tried his best to calm her down. I took the opportunity to move from there. I dumped my untouched food in the trash and walked long and fast strides. Seeing me move, Yami came running after me, followed by Viji.

I walked faster, ignoring them calling me. Soon my walk turned into a run and I ran to the destination unknown, simultaneously wiping my tears which were flowing uncontrollably. Once I reached a secluded part of the college and the sound of my friends shouting out my name became distant, I knelt down on the floor and broke into a loud sob. My instincts were right. The lunch was indeed catastrophic.