The Spoiled Brat

"This is my niece, Prof. Khanna, about whom I was telling you just now," Rahul Banerjee beckoned Rupali and introduced her, "And this is Prof. Paritosh Khanna, Rupa. I don't know if he is going to take one of your courses..."

"Which year you are in, Ms. Banerjee?"

"Final year," Rupali didn't look particularly enthusiastic about the introduction.

"Ah! Then you would be stuck with me, I am afraid, in your Criminal Psychology class," he smiled politely.

"Prof. Khanna here does some wonderful work with underprivileged children, Rupa..."

"Ah! Then you are in the right company. Prof. Khanna," she flashed a sardonic smile, but her uncle seemed oblivious of that, "My Kaku is very enthusiastic about the cause. Now if you will excuse me, since you just declared that I am going to be stuck with you three hours per week in Criminal Psychology classes, I will spend time with some other people in the party. Have a nice time."

"That sounds fair," Paritosh replied sportingly. The urge to retort was strong, but he couldn't be discourteous like her. She has the excuse of youth and wealth.

"She is a spirited sort of girl, Prof. Khanna. Please don't mind her cheekiness."

"No. Not at all."

Paritosh didn't enjoy these parties. But even the best intentions could not be a substitute for money, which he needed aplenty to carry out his work in those remote villages of Kumaun and Himachal. Fundraising was a necessary evil and Rahul Banerjee seemed like the kind of person whose patronage could finance a large part of his annual budget. So, when an introduction through a friend and an invitation to the party came, Paritosh could not refuse.

But he didn't need spoiled, young women to make it more intolerable that it needed to be. She would even be in his class! Well, he would just avoid her, he told himself. He had to manage only for one semester. The visiting professor's salary would then be enough to let him to survive for about two years or so. He would spend that time in the field amongst his children. Then he would come back for a semester again, to suffer some other spoiled students! This was how he had managed for last ten years.