Chapter 1

Chapter 1

~

BEEP BEEP.

The alarm rang for the third time that morning after several attempts at quieting that annoying noise. It was already 8 in the morning and Harry had to be at Mr. Samuel's office in an hour. He unwillingly got out of his tattered old bed, folding up the thin sheets he had used the night before to keep warm which over time had been sprawled all over his double sized mattress.

He grabbed a pair of black jeans and old dress shirt he found in the back of his closet, the shirt that he probably hadn’t worn in over 2 years, and didn’t even know he had. He decided not to take a shower, not in the mood for cold water to practically give him hypothermia, and just slipped into his picked out clothes. It was his best attempt to look professional, even though he probably just looked like another wannabe 19 year old, trying his best to impress and get the job.

He examined himself in the mirror, immediately noticing his extremely greasy hair that had now evolved more into waves than the bouncy curls he usually wore. Maybe a shower would’ve been a good idea, seeing as it would’ve been his first in about 3 days. It’s not that he was unhygienic; it’s just that he really couldn’t afford to shower; he was already short on rent, he couldn’t overdo his water bill too. There wasn’t any time to change his mind now, so he put on his old beige fedora to tame his locks. After grabbing his scuffed up brown shoes, he headed out of his ratty old flat, making sure to lock it.

He didn’t have an option than to take the 30 minute walk to Mr. Samuel’s office. At least for once it was sunny in London making it the ideal weather to spend outside. He liked talking strolls, it helped clear his mind, helped him escape his pathetic life for even just a couple hours.

He walked looking down at his feet as he walked; they were awfully big when you really take the time to notice them. His hands squeezed into the front pockets of his skin tight jeans that somehow managed to fit over his long legs, trying to warm himself up from the wind that was violently blowing. It was sunny, but that doesn’t mean it’s not as cold as it would be on any other autumn day, and being him, he only owned one winter jacket that would look far too crazy to be worn now. It wasn’t all bad though, the cold motivated him to walk a bit faster and before he knew it he was standing in the front doorway of the interview building.

He walked in, immediately relieved from the warmth coming from the heater by the door, and proceeded to check in with the receptionist. “I’m Harry Styles, I’m looking for Mr. Derek Samuels. I’m here for a job interview with him”. The blond at the desk gave him the way up to his office. Harry’s destination was on the third floor, so he headed straight up, deciding to take the stairs rather than the elevator. Once reaching the waiting room he thought to sit down, and wait patiently on the couch, watching the news that was put on and just awaiting his turn to be called in.

There were either no other people that were applying for the job, or they had already given their interview. Either way he sat all by himself in complete silence, aside from the background noise coming from news anchors on TV. As far as he knew the job was for a secretary for Mr. Samuels. It wasn’t a very well paying job from what he knew, but with his lack of credentials and post-secondary education, this was one of the only jobs he had a chance at.

Twenty minutes later, he was called in by a deep voice of a middle aged man. He entered the room, as the previous potential-hire walked out in disappointment; he must not have done so well. Harry took a seat across from his future boss, like he was told to, as the man began talking. He asked about Harry’s life, past, future, rather casual questions for a job interview though, earning vague responses from the 19 year old; he didn’t want to give away too much of his personal desolate life.