Chapter One

Chapter One

"She's here."

"Bring her in."

I glare at the police officer as the remembrance of him being the officer who put the love of my life into the back of his police cruiser. He smirks at me, stepping aside from the doorway to let me in.

Taking a deep breath, I walk into the interrogation room and see a table set up. At it sits a detective who has his hands folded on top of the table. He watches me carefully as I sit down in the chair across from him.

I hear the door close behind me and I suddenly feel nervous. Looking around, the walls are grey and one of the walls have a glass mirror over it. I see my reflection and I cringe. There's bags under my eyes and it looks like I've walked through hell to say the least.

"Would you like some water?" the detective asks, grabbing the pitcher of water that sits at the end of the table.

"I know why I'm here," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "You're not going to get me to confess to anything."

He sets the pitcher back down on the table. "What if I told you that I'd let you see him one last time before I put his ass in jail?" he questions, leaning forward on his elbows.

"You're lying." I snap. "You say you'll let me see him, but after I tell you what you want to hear you'll drag me out of here. I know better than to trust you guys."

"Well, you're smarter than I thought you'd be." he says, a small smile on his face. "But then again, you were stupid enough to fall in love with a criminal."

My hands tighten into fists underneath the table. "How am I the one who's stupid? It took you and the police over four years to find Justin again after he escaped from jail. If you guys are so smart, how did he out smart you?"

His jaw tightens making it obvious that I hit a nerve. He takes the pitcher of water and pours himself a glass, his eyes finally breaking away from mine.

"How did you ever meet Jason? We're yo-"

"Justin." I correct him.

He narrows his eyes at me, but continues talking. "Did he kidnap you?"

"No."

"Did he threaten to kill you?"

"No."

"Then how do you know him?" he asks, annoyance clear in his voice.

"I met him one night when I was walking home from my cheating ex-boyfriend's house." I feel a slight pain in my heart thinking about Nick and how he never saw that bullet coming. "I was crying, and Justin had ran into me. He asked me what was wrong then we talked for a minute before he ran off."

"Ran off?" he raises an eyebrow. "Why did he-"

"I don't know." I lie.

He takes in a breath then slowly exhales. "Where did you see him again?"

"At the coffee shop." I say softly.

"Think back to that day for me." I rolled my eyes because I remember every day and every second that I spent with Justin like everything had happened yesterday. "Was there any blood on his clothes or anywhere on him?"