Dance Me If You Can

I motioned for him to come with me without saying anything. He followed closely behind me as we began walking.

"You kids have fun!" My father shouted at us in a slurred voice. I rolled my eyes and laughed, continuing to weave in and out of the many party guests who were pressed chest to chest with each other. I felt Michael on my tail, so I didn't bother to turn around to check on him until we were at our destination.

We pushed past more people, some drunk, some speaking to one another, and some just dancing.

As we managed to slide past the last couple people, I looked back at Michael to make sure he was alright. He seemed fine; he raised his eyebrows and smiled at me. I returned the smile just as I turned back around to continue walking. Before I was able to take the second step, I felt someone lightly grip my elbow. I glanced over my shoulder at Michael, who was inclined towards me, "where are we going?" He ask me.

"You'll see. Just come." I coaxed him. He nodded solemnly and followed me once more.

Within another minute or so, we were suddenly faced with one of my dad's security gaurds at the entrance to our private family room. This room was off limits to guests, since my father didn't want anyone ruining the things in there. I was aloud to go inside though, obviously.

"Hello, Vic," I greeted him with a smile. He glanced down at me, his hard face stretching into a small grin. "Hi Eliza. Enjoying the party?"

I shrugged, "it's not really my thing. But it's for my dad."

"Ah, that's understandable."

"So," I prompted, "my friend and I were going to go inside and chat for a while. Just chill out."

"Okay," he said politely, opening up one of the doors just wide enough for the both of us to squeeze through.

"Thank you!" I shouted, just before the door was shut. I believe I even heard the lock click.

Michael and I were in complete darkness. I didn't know where he was, but I fumbled around on the wall for a few seconds trying to find the light switched. I found the panel after a couple of seconds, and flicked all of the lights on.

Suddenly, everything started up. The popcorn machine, the stereo, even the television turned itself on. And they were all on full blast.

"Augh!" I shouted at I ran to the T.V., grabbing the large remote on the couch and clicking it off. I did the same for the stereo and the popcorn machine, until the volume level was down to a manageable amount.

Michael whistled in astonishment, "this is some room.." he trailed off. I laughed. "I know. My dad had it added on to the house when I was younger so that I'd have something to do when I came over."

"You were a very privileged child," he said with a chuckle.

I shrugged with a half smile on my face, "I guess so."

He continued to glance around the room, touching anything he came into contact with. As he reached the vintage juke box in the corner, he smiled to himself. He turned to me, "can I put a song on?" He sounded hopeful.

"Sure. Put on whatever you'd like."

I sauntered over to the fluffy, purple couch and sat down on it. Without thinking, I criss-crossed my legs, thankfully my dress covered everything visible.

I peeked over my shoulder at Michael who just chose a song, and was now heading towards me. I inclined my ear towards the source of the music, and though it was soft, I was able to identify the song.