Chapter Thirty Seven

Jacob stumbled through the hall until he reached the room with all of the chairs, the camera above the door turned to him and clicked a few sounds. He decided not to stay in one place too long, it wasn't safe to get comfortable.

    He entered the hall with the white padded rooms. And when he reached the end, he took a right and ran down the hall. It took him no longer than five minutes to take another right at the end of the hall. Jacob reached a door with a face scan lock in it, something had had seen many times before. He leaned forward and the machine scanned his face.

    "Access denied."

    Jacob punched the door and then jumped at the sound of someone shouting. A door was to his right and left; he chose the one on the left, entered the room, and kept quiet. The locked door in the hall swung open and three guards came out, running down the hall. He rushed out of the room and grabbed the door before it could shut.

    He ran through the halls like a mouse in maze, hunting down cheese hidden at the end. Jacob took a left and then a right and then another left. The door, his destination, came into view. It opened up and two guards walked out; they nodded to him before letting him pass by with ease.

    After the door shut behind him, Jacob sat across the desk from the chair that was turned around. Monitors lit up the wall the chair was turned towards, a countless number of people were being watched. The chair swiveled around, revealing a man seated in it.

    "What's your report?" The man asked, his voice all too familiar.

    "She's not getting what to do," Jacob replied, panting to catch his breath. He hadn't realized how hard he had been running, not until he finally had a chance to rest. "I've given her as many hints as I feel possible."

    "She'll learn what to do," The man replied, turning back around to face the screens. "After all, she does have two strikes now." He grabbed a remote and changed all of the screens to show one room, the room with Chloe strapped to a chair. A man sitting beside her with his machine. She fought against the restraints, knowing full well her attempts were useless and her strength was only being wasted.

    The machine started up and then Chloe's mouth opened wide to scream, but no sound came through, it never did. The man couldn't listen to all of them at once, but he did have an earpiece of his own, always listening to the one person he liked the most, his favorite, the girl receiving her second strike.