Harry's First Christmas

November 25th 1980

James's POV

I awoke to the sounds of Harry's crying. The poor fellow had been teething since last Monday, it was tough on Lily to see him that way.

Today was Harry's first Christmas and both Lily and I had been trying our hardest to make it perfect for him. In spite of the circumstances, we were both excited to celebrate our first Christmas as a family. Remus and Sirius were coming over as well. 

Lily and I had invited Peter but he'd been acting oddly distant lately. I really hope he's okay, I thought.

The mattress sunk downwards as Lily climbed into bed next to me, holding a happy little Harry. His cheeks were still flushed from his teething but I think Lily managed to calm him down.

He's a mama's boy.

"Good morning, Harry!" I exclaimed, picking him up and holding him above my head as though he was flying. He giggled and his little arms flailed about.

Lily kissed my cheek. "Merry Christmas, darling," she whispered. I smiled and turned my head to give her a proper kiss.

"Merry Christmas, my love," I said, feeling fit to burst with happiness.

Two hours later I heard a noise from downstairs, followed by Lily screaming profusely. I guess Sirius was here.

I jogged downstairs to see Sirius still barking with laughter in the kitchen, while Lily muttered death threats under her breath.

I chuckled. "Padfoot!" I greeted, coming down to give him a one-armed hug. 

"Prongs! It's great to see you, mate," Sirius said, returning the gesture.

Just then, Remus floo'd in through the fireplace, Lily was prepared this time though, so she didn't get a fright.

"Remus, it's so good to see you," Lily said, walking forward to embrace him. A move that used to make me extremely jealous, before I married her. Now she's stuck with me. Ha.

"Moony!" both Sirius and I yelled as we ran to tackle him. Remus looked half exasperated, half amused. It was just his default expression when it came to us.

He laughed as we grabbed him and piled on top of him. "It's great to see all of you too, I guess," he said, pushing us off of him.

I overheard Lily mutter something about 'children' and 'fools' and I smirked at her.

"Now, where's my Godson?" Sirius asked. Lily smiled and gestured to the living room.

We walked in and saw Harry playing with one of the muggle toys that Lily insisted on getting for him.

I think she called it a spinning top, and I was quite fascinated by it, myself. Sirius ran over to him and scooped him up. Harry immediately began to cry.

Remus and I shared a smirk while Lily ran over to calm him down. Or should I say, both of them.

Sirius was looking at us, wide eyed and terrified. "What did I do wrong?" he asked, still bewildered.

Remus disguised his laugh for a cough while Lily took Harry and bounced him in her arms for a bit.

"It's alright Sirius, you just startled him a little," she explained. 

Sirius smirked. "Well I guess we know where he gets his faint-heartedness from, am I right, Lily?" he joked, raising his eyebrows at her.

Lily's eyes narrowed. "Oh, Sirius, I do love what you've done with your hair."