Aftermath

"Stand down, Agent Maddox," Murphy yelled. "That's enough."

Breathing heavily, Billy lowered his clenched hand, got to his feet and stepped back, staring at the perp who was now cowering behind his arms. Murphy stepped forward, glared at Billy then down at the man. He barked some words in Spanish and the man rolled over on his stomach and placed both hands together behind his back.

Murphy got down on one knee as Billy had done, pulled the man's arms up his back a little and handcuffed him.

"Are you okay, Billy?" the other agent called out, coming up too. His name, Billy recalled, was Lemon. Lemon handed him a handkerchief, which Billy, nodding his thanks, brought to his nose. He squeezed, which was a mistake. Tears spilled from his eyes. It was probably broken.

Suddenly he started shaking. He was freezing. It was likely an adrenaline rushing through his body, coming on in full force now after being held in check during the chase and exacerbated by the fact that he'd just missed getting knifed a moment ago. Murphy hauled the perp to his feet. Still holding the handkerchief to his nose, Billy stepped beside Lemon and gestured toward the switchblade.

"Holy shit!" Lemon's eyes widened. "Sir."

Murphy looked up from where he was hauling the man up, spied the weapon then glanced at Billy. "Is that your blade, agent Maddox?"

Closing his eyes, Billy thought the man's idiocy was too much to take. He shook his head, removed the handkerchief from his nose to explain what had happened then reapplied it.

"Well, you survived."

Billy nodded and looked down.

"Your response was unacceptable."

Here we go again, Billy thought. Here I am bleeding all over the place and it's still my fault.

"Sir!" Lemon interjected. "He tried to stick Billy."

Lemon wasn't much older than Billy and had a slightly strident voice. In the short time Billy had known him, he wouldn't have guessed Lemon had experienced much in life more traumatizing than a stubbed toe. Still, he was grateful for the alliance especially with an unsympathetic dickhead in charge. He took advantage of Lemon's involvement to drop into a seated position in the stunted grass. He hiked his knees up, cupped them with his hands then lowered his head.

As though from a great distance away now, he heard Lemon calling in a truck for the perp. Billy also heard the rancor of voices from the front of the house and remembered what had brought him here in the first place-the suspicion of an underground tunnel. He hoped his colleagues had nailed whoever it was coming through.

"Come on, Billy." Lemon helped him to his feet and, with Billy's head still lowered, guided him around the house. "I'm afraid that handkerchief won't be any more use to you and I don't have any tissues on me. By the looks of it, you could use a box or two."