twenty-two;

votes and comments are highly appreciated :)
read author's note at end

"where the heck is this place?" i looked around the shopping centre as i slowly drove around the parking lot.

"i'm trying! my phone isn't working!" alice exclaimed, waving her phone in front of her face frustratedly.  before she could figure out how to work the maps app, i pointed out the small building in the back of the shopping centre. "there it is."

alice mumbled grumpily to herself and turned off her phone. she looked up to the building and scrunched up her nose. "happy helping hand? who came up with that awful name?"l

"shush! this place really does help people," i parked the car and turned it off, looking up at the building as well.

alice shrugged and we climbed out, heading towards the entrance. reluctantly, i opened the door and a few bells jingled.

we stepped into the lobby, which was painted sky blue, with some clouds and a bright, smiling sun painted around on the walls.

alice coughed awkwardly behind me, obviously disgusted by the childish design.

the waiting room was empty, but a plump lady with a blonde bob sat behind the front desk, tapping away at the computer in front of her.

i took a breath and stepped up towards the desk, glancing at the familiar pamphlets i had found in the treehouse.

"hi, how may i help you?" the lady asked cheerfully, turning to face me.  she pushed up her glasses and smiled at me.

"oh, yes, i was just wondering if a person i knew comes here. i found one of your pamphlets with his stuff," i told her awkwardly, hoping i wasn't sounding too suspicious.

"what's his name, doll?" the lady asked.

"err, ashton irwin."

the lady's face lit up with familiarity. "oh, ashton! yes, yes! he's one of our usuals! he comes for therapy group. such a lovely boy, but what a shame what happens back home."

i flinched slightly at her words.

"something wrong, dear?"

"oh, nothing," i shook my head quickly. "do you mind telling me what he comes for?"

the lady scrunched up her nose and frowned. "i'm afraid i can't, hon. it's private information."

i nodded, expecting this. "okay, thanks anyway." i started turning away from the desk, when a door near us opened. a few people piled out, talking and laughing amongst themselves. following them was the one and only ashton.

he was laughing loudly as a small blonde boy beside him was talking to him, trying his best not to burst out laughing as well.

alice and i backed up slightly, moving so the people, mostly young teens, could make their way to the front door.

i watched ashton wipe his eyes from tears of laughter and compose himself, but smiling big. he patted the boy's back and said goodbye before heading towards the front desk we were standing at.

he looked up and spotted me, his eyes widening immediately.

"bree," he breathed out, in shock.