Chapter 28

Me: I don't own Frozen or the Rise of the Guardians!

Chapter 28

The doctors began tending to Elsa while Jack sat quietly on the window sill in Elsa's room. He looked at the blue coloured wallpaper that seemed to glow for spring while Elsa lay motionlessly in bed. He looked at the plants on the windowsill which had sprouted to life, shining its vibrant colours throughout the room. However, Jack paid no heed to those and instead looked at the midnight blue coloured canopy bed where Elsa lay. He saw Anna and Kristoff looking eagerly and anxiously at Elsa's unmoving body. Elsa? Dead? Jack shook his head; why was he entertaining such thoughts? He spat out in annoyance before looking out the window again. Elsa couldn't die; she was only 21 years old! Then again, the guardian of fun reasoned with himself. He died early as well but that was because he had to save his sister from falling into the freezing pool beneath them that day. Jack's fists clenched tightly until his knuckles turned white as he looked back at Elsa while the healers were trying to figure out what was wrong with her.

"As far as we know, Your Highness," the doctor shook his head at Anna. "We have no idea what is wrong with her. Physically, she seems fine. It's as if she's simply asleep."

Anna nodded and looked warily at her sister's body. "Okay, thank you..."

Kristoff nodded and saw the doctor's out as Jack flew over to the queen's body. Elsa's breathing was soft and calm as she seemingly remained still. The guardian of fun bit his lower lip anxiously and gently placed his hand on top of Elsa's. As her champion, he was supposed to protect her from everything. But, now – he didn't even know what was happening to her. She suddenly just swooned over and collapsed after removing all the snow from Arendelle. Maybe it was too much for her, Jack asked himself before shaking his head. If that was too much for her, she wouldn't have even created an army of ice and snow elementals to march through the city. Heck, the dragon that she had conjured as well would have taken out a whole lot more.

"This doesn't make any sense," Jack growled. "How could this happen? She was just fine when we were fighting Pitch!"

"Maybe she just needs some sleep, Jack," Anna offered cheerfully with a soft laughter. "After all, it's not everyday that we have a crazy, evil shadow monster stomping through Arendelle, right?"

The guardian of fun nodded before hanging his head, burying his face into his hands. "Yeah... and that crazy, evil shadow monster only stomped through Arendelle because I let it through..."

Anna could see the guilt flash through Jack's icy blue eyes. The guardian of fun had pulled his hood over his head while stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets. He slumped down to the ground with his staff falling and clattering beside him. She knew he only wanted to protect her and Elsa. It was a duty that was assigned to him by their father. But his feelings had grown way past that; he had fallen in love with Elsa. She could see that clear as day. Who else would always believe that the real Elsa was just hidden behind the evil Dark Elsa that had taken control of Arendelle for the last few hours? Who else would be willing to defy Elsa to tell her what was going on? Most of all, who else would accept Elsa not just as a queen but also as his equal? Nowadays, she figured that was one thing men seemed to lack. However, her eyes glanced over to Kristoff who probably only had two divisions in his mind: humans and reindeers. And maybe trolls, she giggled to herself. Suddenly, she felt warm hands drop onto her shoulder and found Kristoff holding onto her.

"...She will be okay," Anna asked and looked to Kristoff for reassurance. "Right?"

Kristoff nodded. "She has Jack with her. Maybe we should –."

Suddenly, a weak voice called from the bed. "... Anna?"

Everyone swivelled their heads to the bed as Elsa weakly sat up. The guardian of fun launched himself from his sitting position and ran to the queen's side. Elsa smiled weakly at Jack and gently brushed her fingers against his cheek. She looked also at her sister who had seemingly leaned into Kristoff. So, they did each find themselves something in the end. Although she wasn't entirely sure about Kristoff, he had gone through the ordeal with Anna. She looked around to see the loving and warm faces she had always wanted to see as the door opened to reveal the other guardians. They had helped protect Arendelle. They did things that she didn't. But there was something else bugging her...