Chapter 5: Trouble

Juliet

"She's stable. You don't have to worry about anything. She responds to the medications that we're giving to her but I wish that she would wake up. Just don't give up, okay?" The nurse who was in charge of my mother take a grip on my hand, she was comforting me. It was nice for her to do so. I think she's on her mid 30's base on her appearance.

"Thank you." I gave her a weak smile when she was about to get out of the room. Before she push the door, she said, "I don't want to trouble you dear but you have to pay the bills for the past days or the bills will just get piled up." She went out of the room and close the door behind her.

"Bills. How much do we owe the hospital mom? I just wish that my salary is enough to pay the bills. I just wish that you wake up already." I lean closer to her and give her a kiss on the forehead.

I wish that my mother will wake up already.

--

I rang the doorbell when I'm at Chloe's porch. What's taking her so long? I rang the doorbell again and no one seems to be responding. Should I just leave? When I was about to take a step out of the porch, the door opened. And there she is, her hair was tied into a messy bun while she was currently wearing an oversized shirt and pink pajamas. She must have been sleeping?

"Did you just woke up?" I took my backpack on the floor and head my way towards the door. She rubs her eyes with her hands and said in weak tone of voice, "Well yeah, since you came here at eleven o' clock in the evening. I thought you'll be here early?" She finishes with a matter of a fact tone.

I close the door behind me, "Well yeah, sorry. It's just that my boss let me out late." Total lie. I'm sorry Chlo. We went upstairs and straight to her room. Her room is clean as always and that is one of the characteristics that I admire from Chloe.

"I thought your boss was going to let you out early today and you just have to drop by at elsewhere before going here? Perhaps, have you been hiding something from me?" Chloe jumps on her medium sized bed with a questionable look on her face. What should I tell her this time? I don't like lying but I have to. I know that I should just tell her the truth since she's my best friend but they have helped me enough and this time I wanted to handle this alone. I can do this, I believe in myself. I don't want to be a burden to her, to them.

"Oh, that. Well, I-uh, he have some errand to go to that he asks me if I can go work up until nine." I swallowed the lump on my throat and turn my back away from her. Can we just skip to the part where she tell stories about herself and the guys she broke up to?

"Okay. How many jobs are you even taking? You look like a mess. And where have you gone off yesterday? We've been looking all over for you, texted and even called you and yet you didn't even respond to anyone of us." I'm sensing that she have her other eyebrow raised up while folding her arms against her chest. She does that when she kept on asking questions when she's curious. And with all of her friends, she usually does that to me since we're pretty close.

I've got to breath. I inhale and look up the ceiling before exhaling. I stick my hands together before facing her with a smile on my face. I went towards her and sit down at the edge of the bed. Before I even explain myself to her, she widen her eyes for a couple of seconds before raising her index finger pointing at the side of my neck. At first I don't know what is she doing or why the hell is she pointing at my neck and then I finally realize that is that the hickey that Zachary Thomas Winters placed.

Befor she even utter something that will be uncomfortable to me, I reached her mouth and covered it with the use of my right hand, "Don't you dare shout. I'll explain everything as long as you don't act like an animal that just got out from the cage." Before removing my hand over her mouth, she raises her hand giving me a thumbs up and I'm not sure whether she would act like a human being since I got the feeling that she thought that I finally hooked up with a guy that I like which was definitely not true.