Kusarigama

“Whip it forward… And…” Kuré mumbled after swinging his kusarigama by the chain around in the air and thrusted it forward. The chain entangled itself around the trunk of the tree.

                  “…And go for the kill!” he cried, dashing towards the tree, the bladed silver scythe raised in his gripping hand. With one swift movement he slashed the blade across the bark of the tree, revealing a thin, jagged slice of the tender green fibers beneath.

“Wow, fantastic job, Kuré!” Yuuko applauded her younger brother, smiling proudly. “You’ve come such a long way since father first taught you how to use such a powerful weapon.” Kuré grinned mischeviously, yanking the scythe out of the bark and tucking it into his belt.

                  “Why, thank you.” He replied, crossing his arms defiantly. “Do you think I’m ready to be a Uchiha Senshi like you?”

                  Yuuko gave a sly smile as she reached into her pocket and withdrew her two crimson and gold tessen. Bladed war fans. With a swift flick of each wrist, she sent them flying through the crisp morning air. The razor sharp blades attached to the outer spokes of the fans spun dangerously through the air, tearing through the leaves and branches of the forest trees. Soon enough, the tessen swung around like boomerangs and flew back towards  her. But Yuuko didn’t flinch, or even blink; she wasn’t the slightest bit afraid. She plucked each one out of the air as if she were playing a harmless game of catch. She glanced over at her thirteen-year-old brother.

                  “Only time will tell, Kuré,” she grinned as she slid the fans back into her pocket. “But after your vision, you’ll most definitely be ready.”

                  “Augh!” Kuré groaned loudly, thrusting his hands up into the air in overly dramatic exasperation. “The vision, the vision. You’ve given me this lecture a thousand times!”

                  Yuuko laughed, and lunged forward.

“Alright! Enough! I beg for mercy!” Kuré cried. Yuuko held him in a playful headlock. Although it was only horseplay, she still had an iron solid grip. No wonder she was one of the greatest Uchiha Senshi around, although only fifteen years of age. She had taken many trips down to Earth to protect human souls. During this time, Kuré was forced to stay with Fisherman Ryo on the warf. Ryo would always wake up before sunrise, and make Kure to do the same. The two would fish from dawn to dusk, rain or shine. Every night after that Kuré would return home sore and exhausted, his fingers aching from baiting fishing hooks all day. He was nonetheless happy when his sister returned home from her missions.

                  He struggled, and managed to twist his head out of Yuuko’s death grip, although ended up stunned and sprawled down on the grass. He pushed himself up to his feet once again, rubbing the stiffness away from the back of his neck.

                  “Honestly, what was that for?” he winced as he cracked his knuckles.

                  “Sorry, my brother,” Yuuko smiled. “I didn’t mean to harm you.”

                  “Care to give that a second thought?” I challenged, taking a step towards her, pretending to reach down for my kusarigama.

She stepped back, holding her hands up in a gesture of surrender.

                  “Fine, Kure!” she laughed. “You win this time!”