Chapter 1: Teenage Wasteland

It all started with a knock on the door.
"Mick, we need to talk to you."
I had so effortlessly forgotten that today was the day we plan our annual week of hating Mick, aka our "family vacation". Sounds wonderful, right?
As I stumbled downstairs, I thought of all the crappy vacations we've had. The mini golf themed vacation in the fall of '07. The wild west themed trip of '09. The god awful deep sea fishing trip of '13. Could this be worse the the deep sea fishing trip of '13? I was terrified to find out.
When I got down to the kitchen, my mom, my younger brother Tommy, my twin sister Crystal, and my stepfather, Jim, were sitting at the table. My mother was ecstatic.
"Good morning sweetie! As you might know, today is the day we plan our family vacation! Now, we know you're always... Indifferent! --Yes, that's the word-- Indifferent to our family vacations, so we thought you could pick this year!"
I had only one choice in mind.
"How about the beach? The beach would be awesome."
My sister agreed.
"Yeah Mom! Come on! We've never been to the beach!"
"That sounds like a great idea, Mick!" my mother exclaimed. "What do you think about it, Jim?"
"I don't think so, Mabel. The beach is a teenage wasteland, a place for teenagers to get drunk and have children too early like you did--"
"Jim, we don't need to talk about that..." My mother cut him a sharp glare as she said it. If only looks could kill...
My mother continued.
"Yes, Mick, the beach sounds wonderful! Which one would you like to go to?"
"It doesn't really matter to me, whichever one is the cheapest."
Crystal cut in.
"I just looked it up. It says Myrtle Beach is cheapest this time of year."
"Well, I guess we're headed out to South Carolina!" my mother excitedly blurted.
Jim fumed in silence, other than his heavy breathing.