Chapter 4: Leader

"You know her?" Sam asked in surprise.

"Know her? I went to high school with her," Max murmured before shaking his head.

"She's a soldier, dad," Sam pointed out once he scrutinized the woman's outfit.

"I read about her in the paper, recently. She's the first Muslim soldier to be allowed to wear hijab on duty. Heck, she's the first female Muslim soldier to have her own command," Max mumbled and gulped once Rana turned to look at them.

"Did you just say my name?" The woman called out with a frown. She scooped up the little girl into her arms before making her way over to Max and Sam. Max colored furiously and began to stutter, causing Sam to blush at how clumsy his father had become in front of the beautiful woman. The woman stopped in front of them, her jade eyes giving both of them the once over before resting on Max. She looked at him expectantly and nodded her head as if to say "well?"

"Hi, again!" Khadijah smiled before waving at Sam.

"Do you know these two, Shahzadi?" Rana asked as she touched the young girl's cheek in a motherly fashion.

Shahzadi? Sam thought. He was pretty sure the little girl's name was Khadijah. The younger Jameson glanced at his senior version and couldn't believe that Max was still at a loss for words. Who was this woman? His father didn't have any friends that Sam didn't know about, yet the mere sight of this woman had figuratively turned the older man into stone.

"I only know him," the little girl pointed at Sam.

"Alright. I'll ask you again. Did you say my name? Not just my first name, but my entire name? If so, you better get to explaining why you said my name and how blue-haired Muslim here knows my niece," Rana said in one breath without breaking eye contact with Max.

"I'm not Muslim," Sam corrected Rana, but instantly regretted it once her jade orbs switched their target.

"Alright then, blue-haired non-Muslim, how do you know my niece? Her father isn't here right now to grill you, so his sister will just have to do it for him," Rana interrogated with one of her eyebrows arched.

"My baba is fighting bad guys," Khadijah chimed in and made a small gun out of her fingers before making sound effects. "Pew! Pew!"

"Yo, Rana. What's the hold up?" Ahmed asked as he ran up to the older woman.

"Not now. Are you going to answer?" Rana asked again, this time cocking her head to the side to show her impatience.

"My dad is Muslim and he had some Arabic class. I was waiting outside and some kids were talking about my hair and your niece, um, well I lost something and she found it on the floor and returned it. Then she said not to worry about what people said and that I could go into the mosque because everyone is welcome. I don't have to be a Muslim to go in there," Sam explained quickly and then gulped.

"That wasn't too hard. High-five for returning someone's things, Shahzadi," Rana smiled before high-fiving the little girl's extended hand.

"Another high-five for welcoming someone to the mosque, Shahzadi," Ahmed chimed in with a smile.

Sam was beyond confused now. He wasn't sure if the terrifying woman in front of him would murder them or let them go. He was relieved that the woman was smiling again, but he wasn't sure how long that'd last. As if reading his mind, Rana turned her attention back to him, her smile no where to be seen.

"What's your name, boy blue?" Rana asked with a nod.

"Sam. This is my dad, Max," Sam answered for both of them.

"Max, do you talk at all?" Rana asked irately.

"You have no idea who I am, do you? Granted we haven't seen each other in decades, but I thought I hadn't changed THAT much," Max finally spoke up.

"Why would I know who you are? I've never seen you here before and you certainly don't work with me," Rana shook her head.

"Rana Hashemi. Went to Santiago High up until she turned sixteen and then she was gone. Poof. No one knew where she went or why. She didn't even bother telling her only friend back then," Max began and crossed his arms across his chest before pursing his lips.

"Samuel?" Rana whispered in shock before placing Khadijah into Ahmed's arms. The soldier placed her hand over her mouth to cover her surprise as she looked at Max.

"You go it. You always were smart," Max smiled and held out his arms for a hug.

"Uh, I don't-. I'm Muslim and the hugging thing-," Rana began and pursed her lips before holding up an x-mark with her fingers.

"Oh yeah. I forgot. I'm still new to this Muslim stuff," Max grinned sheepishly.

"You're Muslim? When did this happen?" Rana asked in surprise.

"Rana, you wanna invite your friends home? Dawood's going to be online in an hour and you know how Khadijah gets when she doesn't get to talk to her father," Ahmed called out and motioned towards the little girl who had dramatically collapsed onto the ground.

"I want to talk to Baba, Aunt Rana," Khadijah moaned.

"Alright, alright. My brother's right, Samuel. Would you and your son like to come over and have tea?" Rana asked with a smile.

"You know what? That'd be awesome," Max nodded before wrapping his arm around Sam and following Rana.