Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Edit Status: ☑️

4:36 PM

•••

I fumbled with the ribbons as they grew even more tangled. "Nick," I whined. "I can't do this." I groaned in frustration.

I dropped the ribbons as I moved to the next station. Designing. I picked up the curtains and started snipping fancy designs into them.

"You can't just give up. You were almost there." He smirked, picking up the extremely tangled ribbons.

"Haha, very funny Nicholas Gregwood." I teased him, letting out a small chuckle.

"I was serious when I talked about joining stem or cheerleading..." He said working on the ribbons.

I thought about it, would it be so bad to join cheer? I mean I used to dance. It's nearly the same thing. They both require flexibility in which I am successful in.

"You know, you'd be totally hot out there." I saw that stupid smirk play on his lips as my cheeks grew a light shade of pink.

Our conversation was interrupted by my phone going off, I slid the talk button and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello, it's Highmen." I spoke into the device.

"Hey hon, I need you home, it's urgent." I recognized the voice to be my mother's, except she sounded sad, maybe a few sobs joined her cracking voice.

"Okay mom. I'll be home. Love you." I frowned hanging up the phone.

I packed my stuff into my bag and turned on my heels to face Nick. "I gotta go home, my mom needs my help, and it seems really urgent." I sighed.

I watched him continue working, "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow."

•••

I walked up the stone stairs and swung the door open. I hung up my bag and walked through the house.

"Mom!" I called. "I'm home." I went into each room until I reached the living room.

There were 4 police officers and then my mom who looked like she'd been crying.

"What's going on?" My eyes flickered between all the policemen and then locked on my mom.

"Your father has passed honey." She let out a small sob.

How could that be? He was perfectly healthy and stable. He can't just die and leave my mom and me hanging.

"How?" I stifled my tears.

"He was saving a young man's life who happened to be in the middle of traffic without paying attention." The policeman spoke up.

He died being the hero he is.

•••

It's been an hour since I found out the news, and honestly, how am I supposed to last an entire lifetime without him if I don't even know what to do now and it's only been 2 hours?

I sighed shutting off my lights, I felt more tears stroll down my cheek. "An entire lifetime without you..." I whispered into my pillow.

I remember my dad had left some stuff in the attic, and I'm positive there's some stuff that I'd love to keep.

I opened the door to the attic and lifted myself up. I flickered on the dim lights and sat near a box that read "JOHN HIGHMEN" in black sharpie.

I lifted the folds and saw pictures. Memories even. I flipped through the album. It was a girl.

She looked my age. She had my brown hair, but her eyes were blue, mine are green.

Was he having an affair? I felt tears fill the brim of my eyes at the thought. How could he? My mom did everything for him!

I put the album down and picked up my phone. I found myself texting the only person I could think of. Nick.

Not even Courtney, but Nick.

"Honey?" My mom entered the attic.

My mom usually made me feel better during times like this. But, I didn't want to bombard her with my emotions while she's dealing with her own.

She sat next to me, "are you okay?" She rubbed small circles on my back.

And then... they all started flowing... I couldn't control my tears.... It was like my world was colliding with the stars.

"I'm not okay." Sobs muffled over my words. "I feel like we will never be the same." I brought my knees to my chest as my mom cradled me.

"Shhh.." She ran her fingers through my hair. "It's okay baby. We are okay." She kissed my head and held in her tears.

The 18 years I've lived with my mom, the only thing she hates most is seeing me hurt. She's a mentally strong female, but she always broke down every single time I did.

"I'm sorry..." I wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

I know this is hard for the both of us. So many memories, experiences, laughs, and love, just gone.

You know. It's insane. Everyday we celebrate the day we were born, we know when that day we were born is coming, but we pass our death date all the time.

"It's okay my love." She embraced me, and in that moment. It was just us. No one else mattered. Just her, and me.

•••

"That was a great movie. What was it called?" My mom said stuffing popcorn in her mouth.

I chuckled, "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory." I smiled.

"Imagine if we had our own chocolate factory!" She widened her eyes, "And those little fat green people-" she frowned. "What are they called again?" She was like a little kid on Christmas morning.

I frowned, Christmas will never be the same in the Highmen household. Our traditions, nothing.

"Oompa Loompas." I sighed, "I think I'm gonna head to bed, love you mom."

I took out a hair tie and put my hair in a bun. I turned off the lights in my room and layed in bed under the covers.

I stared at the ceiling and watched my phone go off with a message. I slid the notification and unlocked my phone.

Nick 🐘:

Hey, I'm so sorry. I finished the gym :) but I'm sorry for your lost :(

I locked my phone and continued looking into the darkness. How could he be gone? I mean it's just not fair.

For the millionth time today, I wiped my tears away.

"It's a bad day, not a bad life." I motivated myself.

Another day down of my easy life.