Chapter 6

The time was 6 in the morning. Cara was sleeping with her arms around me. I slowly unhooked her from me and got up. I had a meeting with Wolf alliance for 7.  I planned it that way so Cara wouldn't notice my absence.

I started looking around for my phone when Cara sat up. She rubbed her eyes and looked at me quizzically. "Where are you going? The sound of sleep was still in her voice.

"Out for a run." That wasn't necessarily a lie. I continued."You coming?"  I knew what her answer would already be.

"Later." She replied. She fell back and shut her eyes. She wouldn't be waking up any time soon.

I walked out of the house, shifted and ran to Wolf Alliance headquarters . When I shifted back I made sure to dress in business attire.
***

I walked into the meeting room. It had been my second time here. The first time was when I came to advocate for their help bringing back my mate. Just as the first time I was in this room, I was shocked at how un-amazed I was to be sitting here. It was said to be an honor for an Alpha to sit at least once in this very meeting room. Here I was twice now and nothing passed over me but bitterness.

The council members were already seated in their respective positions. There were ten of them sitting around a rectangle wooden table with my at the end. They attempted at small talk but I wouldn't budge.

I didn't believe in formalities. I wanted to get straight to the point. "You can't have her blood." I know I gave Cara rules about how to compromise in a meeting, but this was different. I wanted no favor from them and I wanted nothing to offer as well. There was no reason for a meeting and I wanted to make that clear.

I could see my father scolding me for my "rash behavior" as he used to back when I had to sit in regular meetings with him and other Alphas. My father held reverence for respected figures, that was the one anomaly in his character. He was a heartless man who respected those with a title. I, not so heartless(or at least I hoped I wasn't), did not respect "title".

It didn't faze me that I was in a room with 10 of the Alliance's most influential members.

These were Alphas/Former Alphas of the 10 oldest packs. When they died their oldest son would fall into succession. The man to my direct left Council member Matthews spoke first."We gave you troops. Let's not forget that."

"You offered us troops. I told you not to offer anyone if your terms were conditional. I have this conversation documented on paper; I would be willing to refresh your memory." I reached in my bag for the paper.

"No need." He waved me away. "You know very well the situation with the rouges is challenging. With her blood taking them down would be so simple. You want people to die because you want to selfishly keep her blood."

"I am not the owner of Cara, I can not sign away her body." I huffed.

"So maybe it's a question we should ask your mate then." The rest agreed.

My hands balled into fists and crashed down on the table."My mate comes nowhere in contact with this place."

"Careful Reid." He warned.

Council member Andrews spoke up. His voice was softer, more pleasant."Actually this brings up a vey good point, you tell us that you cannot answer for your mate, so you can neither accept not reject our proposal for your mate unless you stand as proxy. For that you need your mate's signature. Or as we mentioned before, we can always ask your mate ourselves, which is not a problem."

He was right in that regard, I could not speak on Cara's behalf. Either she would have to come here, which was out of the question, or I would need her written consent making me her proxy. Unfortunately the last part meant I would have to inform her about the situation.