Chapter Eight: Intensity

A/N: Extra credit if you catch the reference to Skyward Sword Link's Stamina gauge.

Ghirahim scowled at the letter he had received via a pigeon while Link slept - the letter that he knew would declare who had won the final battle.

It had already been a few minutes since it arrived, and not only was the pigeon getting impatient but he was too. He knew he had to open it at some point. So, with trembling fingers, he unraveled the paper and read the simple paragraph.

'Lord' - The first word had been crossed out, he noticed - 'Ganondorf has lost the war. The princess and her servant have sealed him in a small object, or so I heard. The princess just set off this morning with the Sheikah servant to try to find you. How fares your quest?'

Ghirahim wrote a quick reply, stating nothing more than: 'Excellent news. We are nearing the end. Report next with information on where the princess is.'

He sent the pigeon off and then turned to wake his servant, filling him in immediately and stating that they must hurry. Link only nodded in response, and together they traveled around the northern side of the swampy forest, making sure to spawn various demonic creatures throughout it and avoid sighting as much as possible.

Link felt a familiar pair of lips on his neck while they stood waiting for the Bokoblins to settle their constant dispute of territory. He blinked and turned to glance. Ghirahim was standing behind him, his arms wrapped around the blonde's waist as careful attention was paid to the hypersensitive spot just beneath his ear. Link hid a shiver as he raised his eyebrows, drawing Ghirahim's gaze to his face.

"I'm taking that as a challenge, Linky."

Needless to say, Ghirahim won very quickly - using lips, tongue, and sometimes teeth over the Hero's neck and jaw, driving him to the brink of insanity. He had been pushed up against the nearest tree, his head thrown back and hat fallen from his head as he panted heavily. Their chests pressed together, and one of Link's legs was wrapped up around one of Ghirahim's, held firmly in place by the demon.

Link curled one arm around one of Ghirahim's shoulder blades, acutely aware of how short he was in comparison and trying to make up for it with contact. Ghirahim pulled away for just a moment to unstring Link's tunic, paying particular mind to the dip of his collarbones, sucking on the skin.

The former Hero released noises he didn't want to - ragged gasps paired with heavy whimpers and moans vocalized as Ghirahim's tongue slid slowly up his throat and his other leg was pulled up to encircle the sword spirit's waist.

Hot breath greeted Link's ear within another moment as Ghirahim whispered, "Have I won?"

Like he needed to ask. Link nodded subtly, sheepishly, a blush staining his cheeks as his breathing slowed. Ghirahim cooed with dramaticism, running his free hand up the back of his servant's shirt. He tilted his head a little, running his tongue over the other man's lips.

"How unlike you to give up so easily. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I've almost always been bested by someone with more experience, Master." For some reason, the honorific had come out sounding...kinky. Not that Link would deny he kind of liked it.

A smirk slid over Ghirahim's features. "Well, then," he began, "perhaps I'll teach you."

~*~

"This is the seventh temple, right, Linky?" Ghirahim asked with raised eyebrows, clearly testing him.

"Yes, Master."

"And, do remind me, how many are left on the map?"

"Just one, Master."

Link received a pat on the head - upon which his hat still hadn't yet reappeared, since Ghirahim liked tugging at his blonde locks and said the hat got in the way of doing so. Link, himself, actually preferred it on, since it hid the mess that most would call hair, but his master had insisted.

Ghirahim took his hand, tugging him speedily through the various rooms as they summoned monsters that all tried to kill each other in an attempt to determine who the leader would be - meanwhile Link struggled to follow, and was panting by the time they arrived at the end and summoned a boss. It clapped enthusiastically with giant invisible hands as Ghirahim took a bow.

"You're supposed to be trained to sprint across huge battlefields, Linky," the demon teased. "This temple is so small. Are you really so out of shape?"

"I was trained not to sprint, but to run, and to find the quickest route through a battlefield - that doesn't include dancing on the way there."

Ghirahim pouted, crossing his arms as they traveled onward. "You're such a killjoy."

Link shrugged.

~*~

Once they reached the final temple, and had plotted out all of the traps and monsters, then summoned a permanent night spell over the area, they arrived in the final boss room. A tall pipe organ rested at the back, likely hiding the exit, and a staircase led to the base floor. The room itself was a tall tower, open at the top, but the most notable feature was probably the giant spider sitting on the wall, staring at them with a single eye. Its back was coated in silver plates. It resembled the Gohma monster that he had frequently battled, but had a lot more armor.

Link apparently noticed it first, and immediately tugged back his master, drawing his sword as it dropped to the ground where Ghirahim had been about to step.

The demon wore a brief expression of shock, then rested his hand briefly on Link's shoulder in thanks before they engaged the creature in battle.

It was barely a minute in, and the spider had suddenly laid dozens of children, each large enough to prove minor distractions. Link didn't think they would be an issue - not until one made a tiny scratch on Ghirahim's leg before he could move - and the blonde's back blazed with pain evidently far more extreme than the tiny nuisance to his master. He staggered, lending the giant spider an opening and time for an attack.

He was smacked in the side and flung backwards with a cry, striking a wall, where he laid for a moment, trying to push himself back up. Ghirahim made a growling noise from far away and Link flinched as his back burned again, this time more intensely.

He opened an eye and located where his sword and shield had fallen, rising to his feet and stumbling over to them. He had just managed to stay steady at last, and Ghirahim had appeared at his side. It was two seconds before their location changed and they were back outside the room.

"You are to stay here, Link."

He wanted to protest, but didn't have the voice to, so instead he shook his head as he buried it into the other man's shoulder, hugging him fiercely.

Ghirahim ran his fingers through golden locks, returning the hug briefly. "This has to get done somehow, and I can't have you hurt yourself for my sake, can I?"

"That's half the job, though," Link whispered in response to his question, even though he knew he really couldn't go back in, and that his side had to be bandaged.

"Oh, yes, but I can't have you dying, Hero. I also have a job - and that's to take care of you," the demon murmured before releasing him and disappearing in a flurry of diamonds.

Link fell back onto his ankles, leaning into the wall nearby and staring off at nothing. After another moment he weakly tugged his tunic off, pulled off the chainmail, and drooped before he could remove the undershirt; for another burning pain, this one even worse than the other two, alit in his back. He looked up at the door with worry in his gaze, but another warning never arrived.