The Book

Many believe that there is life on other planets, but what they did not realise was that our universe is a sphere which rotates around the Uni-Sun with thirty other universes.

This story happens from one of those thirty others, it happens within the one called Maider on a wondrous planet called Caradmerka among many other names.

Chapter One: The Book

Caradmerka – Year 20k10

Eustace Mufene quivered in fear as the Medium looked at his tribute.

It was the first year he had had to pay Elanor tribute. Elanor was the ruler of Caradmerka; she had lived longer than anyone remembered. Her title was ‘The Beastess of Inhumanity’.

“It’ll do for a first year I suppose but I expect three times as much next year.” Growled the Medium.

A Medium of the lower kind, such as this one, looked much like a black shadow that was so dark it seemed to absorb the light around it.

The shadow was shaped like a bat and had no details except two glowing gold cat’s eyes. A Higher Medium looks the same only twice the size and instead of cat’s eyes it has small furnaces, but of course to a small fishing town like this one no Higher Medium would ever go.

But now we must return to Eustace who had picked up the thanks to paying tribute, which was 12 gile. He had given The Beastess 400 nep. Now you will be wondering ‘What’s gile and what’s nep?’ I shall answer you, one nep is equal to 3.8 grams, and one gile is equal to 1.38 dollars.

Eustace carried the gile inside and put it in a cupboard and sat down in his chair to read his favourite book, ‘The Great Hunts of the Kelvin’. The Kelvin where the only race to not bow to Elanor and such was it that they were outcasts and anyone seen with one was accused of High Treason.

A massive tearing sound awoke him, he sat bolt straight up and ran to the window, he saw a strange eerie blue ellipsoid and from it came the remains of a book, the books pages glowed with power, one, by chance or fate, blew through his window and landed on his lap. He hid it as soon as he saw what the Medium were doing, they were trying to get as many of the pieces as possible.

And then another thing happened which scared many people that day, five men leapt out of the ellipsoid, and they wore on their arms the band of the Kelvin, a black cloth with a white cross on it. Why had Elanor not killed them? She could see everywhere and destroy entire armies on the other side of the world without moving a muscle.

“We come from the Lord to save this world from the creature from the Abyss!” One of them yelled, the Medium flew from the sky trying to rake at the man’s eyes, the man uttered three words, “Jesus protect us,” and the claws bounced of nothing… Three feet away from the people. They were supernaturally protected? No wonder Elanor couldn’t touch them, but who was this Jesus? Who was he a mortal to challenge the power of the Beastess?

“We come from the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, the God of gods!” shouted the man again, “All who shall listen shall hear His very words.” Then the Medium said something which made it impossible to listen to the man, “All who listen to this Kelvin commit betrayal and High Treason punishable by having your entrails pulled out before your eyes and having them burned while you are being quartered, and also Elanor will keep you alive for half an hour afterwards to make the punishment complete! Here the words of The Beastess of Inhumanity!” Eustace had very much wanted to listen now he wished to run and hide from them, and that he did, he went into his room and cried.

Something scratched his hand, he looked down, a piece of the book, and there was something written on it, it read: ‘For the God of gods so loved the world that he sent and only Son , that whoever believes in Him should not die but have eternal life.’

Eustace thought on this, Elanor had eternal life didn’t she? But these men called her a creature from the Abyss, an evil doer. Wait! Maybe Elanor had not shredded the book, maybe she had brought it to Caradmerka and they had shredded it so that the people would not serve the God of gods. And this Jesus who protected them was the creature from the Abyss! It all made sense now. He would listen to the men and condemn them!