Chapter XVI A Royal Get Together

Chapter 16 A Royal Get Together

Jason

"I'm sorry." A young woman who couldn't have been much older than Jason, with the same eyes as her mother's. They were also the same eyes as someone else Jason knew. Or thought he knew.

Jason appreciated the gesture but hugged back awkwardly.

The principal of Glendale High was a man in his late fifties. He went by the name Mr. Rodgers and was the best principal the school district had ever seen. His had the skin tone of something like coffee mixed with a lot creamer. In fact his whole office smelled like coffee. He wore glasses that looked more like the reading kind. His hair was black, short and curly. Usually he was a chipper man wearing tweed jackets with vests, slacks, ties, suspenders and running shoes. Today he was dressed in mostly brown with a white shirt and a black tie.

Mr. Rodgers took a seat over by the corner, assessing the situation with a calm exterior. Jason wasn't sure how the man was dealing with the sudden influx of chaos taking place on the school grounds. Jason realized quickly that wasn't his problem and that was something Mr. Rodgers would have to deal with.

The shades were all pulled shut in a room that was made up of mostly windows. There were a lot of photos around the office, on the walls and desk that showed pictures of Mr. Rodgers with students through the years. He had the room filled with a lot of happy looking teens. A world Jason may or may not have to leave. Jason was preparing himself for the latter, because it wasn't like he saw himself in any of those photos. Perhaps this fate all along. His fate.

He realized now, that he didn't want to leave. Jason was forcing himself to focus on the smiling faces of field trips and graduation photo's. So when the young woman finally stepped away, to sit in a seat angled towards the center of the room, the Queen herself sat across from, Jason could see the way the queen was studying him. Her face showed little to no emotion. Jason was stuck wondering what he might have done wrong.

"Now that you've met my daughter, Samantha-"

"I sometimes go by the name Sam." Her voice held silk, calming gesture no doubt. Jason couldn't describe it, but he felt a certain need to start manning up and face the music now. He felt his chest puff out lightly as he met this girl, no young womans face with gratitude.

The Queen made a small 'ahem' noise at being interrupted. Unlike Jason, this Samantha didn't seem all that worried. She sat up straighter that her back was no longer touching the chair. Jason realized he needed to mirror the same. It was easier said than done because these chairs weren't meant for anything else but slouching. That's apparently how Mr. Rodgers ran things in his office, not that Jason had ever been in the office before. This was his first time.

"As I was saying," The Queen leaned forward, clasping her hands together while keeping her elbows off the desk, "or meant to say, was that I am indeed, sorry things had to turn out this way, but least now that I have your complete attention I dare say you believe me now?"

She paused considerably letting Jason absorb the news. This was understandably, the Queen being soft, but Jason wanted this to be over with. He nodded for her to continue as his hands were starting to feel sweaty at the armrests. He knew he could take whatever came next. He didn't realize he was holding his breath.

"Now as of last week, I've not only informed you about your fathers passing-"

"I'm sorry about that too." Samantha said. Her head bobbed with about as much grace as someone with a royal title could. Unfortunately, he couldn't bring himself to acknowledge the sentiment.