Ch. 1 - Spelling Bee

Yep. I am gonna make my first chapter about spelling. And grammar. Wattpad readers tend to be more forgiving of these things. And I am no grammar girl, that is for sure--I always say, "That's what editors are for!"

So why am I making a big deal about it?

Because, every so often, I run across a story on Wattpad where the grammar and spelling errors are so numerous that it makes it difficult to read and enjoy the story. And a lot of these stories have a little sparkle under all that mess, telling me the story would be amazing if it could just shine through all the spelling and grammar grit.

Now, I know some Wattpad authors have language problems. There are plenty with learning disabilities, dyslexias, second language barriers, etc. And not everyone can overcome these issues easily. So I don't hold it against anyone.

There is just one thing I want to say. Everyone can do better. A little practice, a little pushing against the barriers, a little extra time before hitting that publish button, and a little help from your friends can go a long way.

Here are some tips to start improving, if you recognize yourself as one of those people who may be losing readers because of spelling and grammar issues.

Practice makes perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice. With time it will come eventually. But only if you correct yourself as you write. If you notice you have a problem word, then don't let spell check just instantly fix it for you. Look at the way you keep spelling it vs. the real spelling and make yourself type it the right way.

Proofread. Yeah it may be obvious, but it's also tempting to skip it. Proofreading will catch errors. I swear it's worth it! And if you really want to make it perfect run it through MS Word spell check and then through Google Docs spell check. Both will catch things the others missed.

Read it aloud. Seriously. Read it with character voices, and read it like you are reading it to someone (even if it's just your cat), so that you catch those extra tricky errors. We process things differently when we read silently vs. aloud. It is like looking at it with fresh eyes.

Ask people for help. Let them read it. Your mom. A friend. A writers group. Anyone other than yourself.

And if you really want a good proof read, make sure its done on a printed out version rather than the screen (but that is for when your making your final edits, so no need to get this carried away too early).

Just a little bit of attention can, not only help your reader's experience and chances of returning to your story, but it will also help you improve your writing skills.

Most importantly, never give up. Keep on writing. The only way to fail at being a writer is to stop writing.