Ship To Wreck

I swear it was like being hit over the head with an anvil.

Now I was making a rather good imitation of a frog, mouth opening and closing widely, all I needed to do was croak and the transformation would be complete.

My eyes were tracing over her face repetitively, not quite ready accept that the woman standing in front of me. To be honest, she hadn't changed that much over the years. She still had skin like ivory and those darkly intelligent eyes, they were even twinkling at me just like they used to. And of course the hair hadn't changed. It would never be tamed, curling in every direction possible. Suddenly I was reminded of sitting on the bed in a tiny apartment and musing it even more, loving the texture and fullness as she rolled her eyes at me.

She seemed more than amused in my shock, enough so that she didn't bother prompting me, just letting the knowledge fall over me slowly. Her wide mouth was turned into a gentle smile, and that emotion seemed to have spread throughout her entire face, somehow even bringing emotion to the high cheekbones until it reached those eyes.

And then another voice spoke up behind me. "Hey," said Jake in surprise. That finally forced my attention over my shoulder, if only fleetingly. I caught sight of him pull up a stop, a green beer bottle in each hand as he frowned over my head. "Aren't you–"

The interruption had snapped me back to myself and I looked wildly back in her direction, eyes wide.

Not giving Jake the time to finish, I'd let go of my beer bottle before surging to my feet and flinging my arms around her neck. "Sadie!" I gasped, my grip so tight around her neck that she had to choke out a laugh. I squeezed even harder for a moment, making sure she was actually there and then I let go abruptly, moving back to look down at her.

Placing my hands gently on her cheeks, I stared at her wondrously. She had aged a bit, but it was only noticeable at the close distance with the smallest of lines at the corners of her eyes. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

Sadie laughed brightly, her eyes shimmering at happiness at my welcome. "What kind of hello is that?"

"What kind of hello is insulting the places I hang out?" I countered. However it was clear I was far from insulted – my tone still in the realm of astonishment. So with a broad smile I wrapped my arms tightly around her, just holding her there and still in my astonishment. This time she managed to get her arms out from between this in order to hug me tightly.

Still she murmured in my ear, "It is kind of gross, you've got to admit."

Without letting go, I giggled, replying, "That's part of the charm."

"You could say that." The reply was what I would have called reluctant, but definitely unwilling to argue a point as she scanned the room with her eyes, nose crinkling distastefully.

Oddly enough it didn't make me want to snap at her. She had to be special, because any one else I would have cut off at the knees for being a fucking snob. Or maybe the apparition of a childhood friend that I hadn't seen in longer than I cared to remember had thrown me for a loop. I was considering the latter option to be more than plausible.

I finally managed to wrench away, but I kept my focus glued to her in the highest degree. If a muscle twitched in her cheek, I'd know. "What are you even doing here?" I asked in a rush. "Why didn't you call?"

Sadie just gave an incredulous laugh. "You are kidding, right?"

At my bewildered look she rolled her eyes in such a long suffering fashion it could have been put in some teen drama.