Chapter 2: Separate Worlds

Chapter 2:  Separate Worlds

India White sat in her room, just staring at the contents of her wardrobe, trying to decide what she should wear to go to town tonight.  There was nothing that really stood out to her and besides, she had a lot of other things on her mind...well actually, just one other thing, and it's name began with an 'S'.  Sam Cole.  She would be lying to say that she had never given him much thought before their conversation the other day but he definitely seemed to invade a far greater proportion of her thoughts now that she had actually spoken to him.  For some reason, that one conversation they'd had just made him seem so much more real and also...well just incredibly vulnerable.  He was a person desperately in need of some help but, much though she wanted to, she knew that she couldn't be the one to give him that help.  She couldn't be the one to save him. 

She decided, in the end, on a short, black miniskirt and a black tank top, coupled with her favourite black heeled boots.  India White was definitely out to have a good time tonight...she was definitely out to forget all about Sam Cole, even if just for the evening.

Sam Cole looked out of his bedroom window and sighed.  His date for tonight, the beautiful Skye Matthews had cancelled and now, he was desperately trying to get hold of his best friend, Tristan.  He NEEDED a night on the town...literally.  He just had to do something to forget that girl...India White.  Her name seemed to flow off the tongue like the melody to one of his favourite songs.  He was perplexed over how much of his thoughts this girl could possess and for some reason, he desperately wanted to know more about her.  

But the truth was, they were from separate worlds...and his was one that she just didn't belong to.  Besides, he could date practically anyone he wanted.  Look at his date for tonight, for example...she had been voted one of the most beautiful women in the world on several occasions...true, she had cancelled last minute, but in the world of fame and fortune, that honestly didn't mean much.  Last minute appointments were always being made...another reason why he could not involve India White into his world.  She just wouldn't understand if he ever had to cancel on her and it wasn't something he could really explain too well either.  Him?  He had grown up in this world...he was used to it - his parents had been cancelling on him since he was old enough to cook his own meals.  But her?  She would get hurt, and he would blame himself.  So for now, he would be selfless, and just leave her out of this strange alien world.

He decided to try Tristan again and was relieved when his best friend picked up on the first ring.

"Hey Tristan, where have you been man?  I've been trying to contacts you for two hours!"  Sam practically yelled down the phone.

"Hey calm down dude, I thought you had a date tonight?"

"Yeah, yeah, date got cancelled.  You doing anything tonight?"

"I'll have to check my diary," Tristan replied, and Sam could almost hear his best friend's smirk.  

"So I guess you wouldn't be up for a wild night on the town then..." he trailed off, playing along with the bluff.

"Hmm...diary checked and looks like I'm free after all...pick you up in ten?"

"Perfect, see ya then," Sam chuckled, hanging up and pulling the blinds to his apartment windows up so that he could see when Tristan arrived.  He was going to make this a good night...a night where he could forget all about India White, even if just for the one evening.