7. Deadly Dance

The songs of the trees drew to a pinnacle point on the edge of a glade. From the forest backed into the darker edge of Greenwood, where the light and magic of the elves did not reach. The chorus of the trees was like crashing thunder in Lairiel's ears, it was so loud and urgent it was almost disorientating, but she pushed on. Never stopping her sprint, never breaking from her goal. Elves do not naturally tire or grow breathless but Lairiel felt her chest tight, like she could not get enough air to fill her lungs - it felt like she was running out of time.

It was here, on the brink of the wood, were light split into dark and were the trees hushed to a dead silence, that Lairiel slid to stop and stood, open mouthed and momentarily halted. The ominous atmosphere hung heavy in the air, she could see a thick mist rolling in from the distance. The natural comforting tones of the forest were replaced by eerie silence, punctuated by unearthly shrieks or monstrous groans.

The Queen's eyes darted around the new surroundings, and her hearing grew sharper, she took an unnecessary deep breath to settle herself. Squaring her shoulders and fixing a determined look on her face, Lairiel crept forward, using her environment to remain hidden. Using the shrubs, ferns, and giant roots to blend in - all the while listening for the trees to give her some clue as to what path she should take.

Lairiel began to panic, if the trees would not help her nownhow would she know where to go? She prayed unceasingly for the Valar to hear her plea, to give her a sign, anything to let her know she was on the right trail. It was at this precise point - in the gloom of the sick forest - a white cabbage butterfly floated past her, she was momentarily intrigued by the common enough insect, and watched as it fluttered around her. This was it, the sign she needed, so Lairiel followed the trail of the butterfly, as quickly and as quietly as she could.

The little insect who's innocent purity, that was so out of place in the darkening gloom, landed on the root of a great oak. The root was large enough for Lairiel to easily hide behind, so she did just that. Crouching against the tree root she continued to watch the insect but it did not move for the longest time...and neither did Lairiel. She just watched and waited, listening for any sound or clue that would guide her.

Suddenly she heard voices, not pleasant voices; brutish, snarling grunts, the kind of noise that belonged to orc. Lairiel's heart stopped, and she did not dare breathe, for the voices were close. She watched as the butterfly floated above her head and towards the sound of the intruders. As silently as she could, Lairiel crept around the bulbous root, until she could see the insect and the hideous creatures, just a short distance away.

There in the dense foliage and rolling mist stood two orc, one small and wirey, the other large and broad, both grotesque and vile. But this was not where Lairiel's attention was, for on the ground, sitting upon her knee's, with her hands bound behind her back, was her daughter...alive and alert! It took all of the strength Lairiel had not to rip out of her hiding place and run screaming to her daughter's side, she had to remain calm and use her wit to win her daughter back now! She quickly appraised her child from the distance, searching for hurt or trauma.

Ellenya sat poker straight, not even flinching at the terrifying orcs leering over her. Her gaze was fixed in the distance, she looked passed them and her young eyes showed no sign of betraying the inner turmoil the elfling was suffering. The wirey orc pushed his hideous face into Ellenya's trying to force her attention, goad her into some kind of emotion, but the elfling did nothing other than tense her shoulders.

"You're going to be sorry you were born little rat, before the day is finished we'll see how brave you are, we'll see if you do not squeal for your parents." The orc spat, his wicked eyes dancing gleefully.

Ellenya dropped her gaze ever so slightly and with a still, small, voice and with a bravery that even Lairiel could not fathom, whispered; "No! I will not cry, because my Ada and my brother will stop you and you will never get my Nana, they are coming for me, I can promise that."