e l e v e n

armie didn't get to see maë's smile

because maë didn't get to see the meteor shower.

maë didn't get to see anything anymore.

no one did.

but the time armie had realised what was happening, it was too late to stop it. the party had veered off course, heading straight i n t o the earth instead of beside it.

this can't be happening.

but it was.

this can't have happened.

but it had.

boom.

everything stopped.

no longer chatter between the sisters, nor nyx and helios, selene and eos, iris, chione and nephele.

nothing.

silence.

when nyx realised what had happened, she'd put her hands to head, her eyes widened, her breathing sporadic - like she couldn't get enough in.

the sisters wailed.

eos' rose glow fell apart, like a flower burning.

armageddon continued to search through the dust and the flames that had now engulfed the speck.

he couldn't find her.

no no no no no no no.

armie lowered his torch and let it fall, the spark within it instantly diminishing.

no one moved for a long, long time.

it may have been minutes.

hours.

days.

weeks.

months.

years.

c e n t u r i e s.

a whole millennia may have passed and no one would have even noticed.

then, one-by-one, his family slowly extinguished their shine. the warm glow of their nursery, fading.

they were gone. maë was gone. it was over.

n o t h i n g.

as armie continued to search, desperate to prove himself wrong, the billions of stars around that lay in his panoramic view, began to disappear.

all stars were putting out their light.

millions.

billions.

trillions of them just fading away.

there were no more twinkling stars. only darkness and the moon.

because, well, what was the point of existing for no one?

the end