The End

"Jesus, with this again?!"
I look up from my book at my sorry excuse of a boyfriend. His words are slurred and he's wearing a worn out button up flannel that should've been thrown out years ago, with too many stains to count, and his hair looks like a spider's nest. Disgusting.
His pants don't even have a distinct color anymore. Is it so hard to buy new clothes?
"What are you talking about?" I ask, fear creeping through me. I know what happened the last time I got smart with him when he was drunk.
"This," he says, walking towards me with long, stumbling strides. I can almost see the smoke coming out of his huge disgusting ears.
He slams my book shut and smashes my hand, which is determined to keep my page. I should get my priorities straight, huh?
"You and these god damn books, April!" He slobbers.
"How in the hell is that a problem?" I say, feeling my face get hot. He's going to explode.
"You're supposed to be making me dinner, you lousy-" I stand up and catch him by surprise. I walk past his already wound-back hand and calmly grab my coat. With my book still around my now throbbing hand, I tell him I'll be back for the rest of my stuff in the morning, dramatically wipe his spit off my face, and slam the door in his pink, enraged, and disgusting face.
As I slam the door, I feel tears welling up in my eyes. I pull my phone out of my pocket with a shaky hand, fold the page in my book, free my bookmark hand, and call my mom.
"Mom, I did it." I say, surprised by the confidence in my voice despite my stumbling feet and racing mind. "I'm sorry I didn't listen before. I'm an idiot, and I'm sorry, and-" what else? "And I'm coming over. Uh, love you. See you soon."
I get on the blue transit bus and massage my pulsing hand. I've been through so much worse with him. It wasn't worth staying for any longer. It was a good choice... Right?