Preparation

Fayeth attempted to hold still as her maidservant, Marsys, fixed her golden hair, but it was somewhat difficult. It is not in the nature of fire, and therefore a Phoenix, to be without movement.

  The dress was a work of art. For political correctness and to hint at the trade agreement, most of her dresses for the visit were of Asgardian make. However, it was widely acknowledged none were better seamstresses than those of the Runai, and although the queen was not one for dresses, preferring her usual armour, she could not help but admit to herself, frankly, she looked stunning.

  So much for modesty.

  Her gown was a masterpiece. Since it was her formal colour, in the same way Loki's was green and Thor's was red, it was the deep blue of the depths of the ocean, in the shade that perfectly matched her eyes. The sleeves were of spidery white lace, the finest and most expensive as was only made in Runaheim, and the dress clung to the curves of the upper half of her body, emphasizing her slender waist, while the skirt billowed out in thick ruffles accented in white to give the striking effect of waves skidding across the ocean's surface. The necklace of sapphire, diamond and pearl was worth a fortune in itself, and for a creature of fire she was clearly of the sea also.

  Her face, too, was a work of art, and she had Marsys to thank for that. Strikingly different was this to her natural face, and strikingly beautiful. Her lips were full and painted jet black, in the style of Runai ladies, of drama and midnight. Eyelashes normally invisible were dark and extraordinarily long, with eyeshadow in a slightly darker blue and black eyeliner, setting off her bright eyes which shone like blue fire out of the dark surrounding them. Her earrings were simple but elegant pearls.

  The hair, now, was complete and Marsys let out a little gasp of satisfaction at the sight before them. It was a simple enough, which was necessary so there was not too much going on, but it was nonetheless breathtaking. Some of the golden tresses were in a braided knot at the top of her head, while the rest cascading down in glossy magnificence, brushing against her bare shoulder blades in the low back of the exquisite dress, ending in gentle but perfect wavy curls. The elegant golden circlet of the ruler of Runaheim was set in her hair, the diamond pendant in the centre resting gently on her forehead.

  Fayeth barely recognized herself. She looked all darkness, she looked all ocean, and although there was nothing to suggest orange or red or flames, there was her own presence, and she brought a look of all fire.

  Her maidservant looked a little anxious. A petite girl with big brown eyes, somewhat startled like that of a deer who has heard a strange noise, she was part of one of the old families that had worked for generations for the Phoenixes. "Is - is that alright, m'lady?"

"It's perfect," she replied softly. "Thank you, Marsys. Thank you so much." This is just what I need to deal with this 'welcome dinner'. She suddenly gasped in pain, wincing and closing her eyes.

  Marsys' concerned face peered over her mistress's shoulder in the mirror. "M'lady, are you quite well?"

  "Yes, yes, of course," Fayeth replied automatically, hand reaching for the arm of the chair as she recovered momentarily. "Just the fire growing, nothing to worry about. Could you tell me the time perhaps?"

The maid turned to glance at the clock. "It looks to be nearly seven o'clock, m'lady."

Fayeth took a deep breath. There was enough time to be fashionably late, as was the custom for the guest at an Asgardian welcome dinner. Showtime.