Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Bright morning sunshine woke me. It streamed in through the huge windows, as I must've forgotten to close the curtains the night before, and I looked out to see the turquoise waves glinting in the early morning sun.

I stretched, my neck was stiff and my legs cramped from being curled under me all night. I put the book back on the bookshelf and went into my bathroom. Someone had already come in and filled a basin of cool water. I splashed some on my face and washed it and then combed my hair. Still yawning from the late night before, I searched in my closet for some casual clothes to wear, like some leggings and boots and a tunic or something. But all I could find were dresses and gowns of all colors and styles. Sighing, I selected a simple, plain one and went down to the Great Hall.

The kings and queens-to-be hadn't woken yet, but the castle and small city around it were already bustling with excitement about the day's coronation. After a bit of wandering, I found the kitchen and searched for some breakfast I could fix for myself. But the Cook found me and gave me a rap with a wooden spoon before sending me on my way with a steaming breakfast of eggs and sausages and toast and butter.

For the rest of the morning, I simply familiarized myself with the castle and stayed out of the way of the busy preparations. Oh, and avoided anywhere Peter might be.

I went to the stable and borrowed some boy's clothes and took Andy out for a ride along the beach. I told him all about the feast and the ball, and when I told him about Peter almost kissing me, he threw up his noble head and whinnied fiercely. He turned and looked at me with an expression I could not read.

"I couldn't help it, Andy! I didn't mean to be rude, but-- but... Oh, bother it all! I have no idea about what to do," I said sullenly as Andy continued to snort and snuffle and shake his head quietly.

I took in my surroundings. The beach was beautiful, white sand and sheer, rocky cliffs. The castle was built along many levels of the cliff face, and was above me to my right. I slid off of Anduril and waded out into the waves about ankle deep. The water was as warm as bath water. I looked for seashells, finding a few pretty ones that hadn't been broken. Looking up at the sky, I sighed.

"Time to head back, Anduril. I have to get ready for the coronation," I called. He was walking along the water's edge too, looking for shells. When he would find one, he would neigh for me to come inspect it. He came trotting back and I swung back up. He galloped up the beach, ivory hooves thudding dully on the damp sand. The salty wind blew back my hair. I felt so free.

But once I had let Andy loose in the stable and had entered that castle, I was bombarded again. A few Archenlandian girls had come to Narnia to work as maids now that it was safe, and they dragged me up to my chamber and started fussing over me. They enjoyed it, washing my hair and drying it by the fire and then brushing it until it shone like copper. They fussed over the perfect gown to wear, and what shoes to go with it. Their cheerful chatter made me feel a little lonely, or like I had missed out on this kind of thing. But it passed. They made me wear a little bit of makeup, saying that I looked positively lovely in this color or that. By the time they were finished dressing and grooming me, it was almost time for the ceremony to begin.

"Come, come look at yourself in the mirror!" "You look lovely, dear!" "She's absolutely radiant!" They cried different praises and compliments and pulled me over to the mirror. For a moment I didn't recognize the tall, graceful girl in staring back at me in bewilderment. Her golden hair cascaded down her back in gentle curls from where it was braided around each side of her head to meet in the back, golden thread interwoven within the braids. The gown they had chosen was a pale, spring green with little golden accents. It brought out my lichen-green eyes and fair coloring. I looked beautiful, grown up, and graceful. Very much like a Lady of Narnia.